Monday, May 10, 2010

Ramblings & My Husband

This is my 200th post. Wow! I just thought that was interesting.

I went to Lowes today to collect 30 of these brick edger things (technical term), spraypaint, and a couple flats of flowers (can never have enough). All over their store, it says, "We will help you load." Well, Lowes...I say "yeah right". I spent almost forty minutes after I asked and paid for assistance and getting and loading these heavy brick things, got my kids in and out of my car four times because I was forgotten about waiting for help, and moved my car three times because the lady didn't know where to send me. Ultimately, I got my kids out of the car (both quite tired, exhausted, frustrated, and crying) one last time and went back inside the lawn and garden section. The lady assured me someone was stacking them this very second. I strolled our circus of screaming children over to the brick section and not one single person was there! I promptly got a refund for EVERYTHING I bought & packed my kids back in the car! YOU have to get this...it's the best part, the lady said, "Let me walk out with you to your car (still blocking the parking lot) to get your return (one brick paver thingie so she could ring up all thirty of them & my flats)". This cashier and a young man walked out with me to get my now returned items. So, they could walk OUT with me to get my returned items, BUT no one...not one...could help me LOAD my car! UGH! Okay, that was my rant and rambling.

Now, on to my husband. He's smart. He's lucky...wins everything and anything he signs up for in contests and activities. He can sale anything to anybody...pretty handy to have around to haggle or sale something at yard sales and such. He thinks and debates through everything and anything he does, especially when money is involved. Let's just say he is the cheapest person that I have ever met. beyond frugal. My dad often says he trips over dollars to save pennies. When he does spend money, I think he physically gets sick. With all that said, he's been (financially) nauseous for a few weeks now with our spending on our kitchen, our water heaters that went out, our air conditioner that stopped working, and everything else in the house that suddenly decided to fall apart! After a good thunderstorm and a full day power outage a couple weeks ago, our television began having a vertical green stripe and a double image. Every other tv worked in our house. Every tv is hooked up to a cable box just like the one downstairs. Only the downstairs tv was not working. Now, what would you think? My thought was the tv is broke. My sad husband mourned the loss of his flat screen, but after much debate, he decided we should replace the tv.

He spent the entire day (yes, mother's day) going back and forth between stores, sales people, the internet, and sales papers trying to decide the best economic decision on a new flat screen. After all, he rationalized that our tv was five years old (how is that old for a tv by the way?!). He purchased a tv. It wouldn't fit on our existing mount because it is now obselete (yes...five years old and they do not make it that way anymore...seriously). Off to purchase a mount. Oops...now we need a special (60 dollars) cable to make the dvd and vcr work. My poor dad and Robert worked hard the entire day working on getting this tv up and working. They turn it on and....

IT HAS A GREEN STRIPE AND A DOUBLE IMAGE!

WHAT?! Let me repeat, WHAT?!

I say (T), "that's not right. it has a green stripe too."
Robert (R) says, "oh, no, this tv is broken too."
My dad (D) says, "well, guys, it must be the cable not the tv."

R looks like he is about to pass out. He turns white, white, white and sits slowly. My D stands looking serious and perplexed. I fall down on the floor laughing, crying and unable to talk.

All that work. All that money. For no reason. We are not real frivalous people. We did not buy the original tv to begin with...my parents did as a gift one Christmas. We try to keep savings for emergencies (like air conditioners, water heaters, etc.). We have just had too much of that lately! We try not to have debt (if we cannot pay for something, we don't get it.) We saved for years to redo our kitchen. Like I said...Robert is cheap  frugal. We would have used the other tv until it died. Now, we have this fancy smancy tv after we have fixed item after item over the last few weeks in our house.

It's just kinda funny...well, let's just say Robert is not ready to laugh yet.

I just figured...you have to laugh or cry, right?!

I couldn't be mad because I assumed the tv was broke as well.
 I was more mad about it taking my entire mother's day than the tv drama!

Come on over and watch a show on our new fancy, smancy tv...

and feel free to laugh at with my smart, lucky, saavy husband about his not-so-smart purchase!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Tammy, I had almost the same experience at Home Depot. I was buying those brick edger things too. And not a soul asked to help me. I was beyond frustrated. The next day I went to Wal-Mart to buy bags of dirt (it is stinkin cheap there). Low and behold they had the same bricks for the same price that I had bought at HD the day before. A man promptly walked out with me to load my bricks and my dirt. Amazing!
Also, thanks for the warning on Tv's. If anything happens to ours, I will now check my cable box first. Thank of all the people you are helping with your PSA.