Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sex In the City...A Night with the Girls


A friend is a person with whom you dare to be yourself. -Pam Brown


Last night was so so so so so (I could go on and on and on!) much fun! A bunch of girlfriends (and some of their moms and friends) and I all got together to go see Sex in the City...the sequel. Now, this is not a normal movie that I would even like. I never saw any of the shows when they were out on tv. However, the Christmas that I was pregnant with LaLa, Robert bought me the entire set of seasons of Sex in the City. Consequently, he went skiing with some friends for his birthday, and I was left to amuse myself at home and very pregnant. I literally snacked and watched every single episode from the very first season to the last. I was hooked, and I felt like I had met each character personally after our weekend of bonding. By the way, my daughter was named prior to knowing there was a character with her name on the series, but it was kind of fitting after my weekend marathon.



The first Sex in the City movie came out a couple years ago. My girlfriends and some of their moms (they all live a couple hours north of me) went to see the movie together. They were all dressed up, ate dinner, enjoyed some wonderful laughs and memories, and hired a limousine to make the night even more special. I, however, was very, very pregnant with Little Bit. I couldn't go. I know...sad, right? Fortunately, I did have a fellow pregnant friend of mine that went to see the movie with me at a nearby theatre. What is it with me being pregnant and my Sex in the City memories?! Funny, right?
Well, this time...I was not pregnant. I hired a sitter (my marvelous cousin that my girls LOVE), drove a couple hours, and made it to enjoy the experience. We had an expedition limousine. We dressed up as glamorous girls. We transformed into normal women and left our "mom" brains behind for a night. I stayed the night with one of my best friends, Jennifer. She and I were college roommates. It was a great opportunity to actually play with her kids. I'm usually so busy with my own that I have never gotten that one on one time with them. Her husband's big breakfast was perfect too!
I laughed all night. My face genuinely hurt from smiling and laughing. I realized that even after years...we are still the same girls we were five or ten years ago. The group was a combination of friends that have been friends for years, friends of friends, moms of friends, and new friends. Ultimately, I realized that we have gotten married, had kids, and started our lives and careers. Regardless if the girls were my age, younger, or older, if they had been in my life for a day or for years, or whatever...we were all friends. We were all women taking a break from life and enjoying "being women" (you have to see the movie to get that:)!)

It was great to be reminded of that....


It is one of the blessings of friends is that you can afford to be stupid with them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did I mention that I laughed...all night?! I'm going to so be in trouble for this pic being posted...so enjoy it until she sees it and I'm forced to take remove it. Hee Hee:)

Hold a true friend with BOTH your hands.-Nigerian proverb

No comments: