Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer Projects: The Girls' Room: French poodles...almost finished!

Things Done...
  1. Move out old stuff!
  2. Move in new stuff from craigslist (includes the two paintings, the two duvet covers (Little Bit's not shown), pillows matching theme, boxspring, new twin bed for LaLa, etc.)
  3. Purchase needed items (new twin sheets, use crib sheets from nursery from LaLa's decor, etc.)
  4. Use what we had (crib (matched perfectly!), changing table/dresser, bookshelf, toy box, table and chairs, etc.)
  5. Paint (opposing walls are different colors)
  6. Hang pictures
  7. paint eiffel tower (chalkboard paint)
  8. paint ceiling (darker shade of sky blue)
  9. paint clouds on the ceiling (if you look closely, some of the clouds take special shapes...a teddy bear, mickey mouse ears, the letter c, the letter s, a flower, etc.)
  10. organize closet


Still to do...
1. Put sheets and bed ruffle on crib. Little Bit's nursery decor was brown/pink so it did not go with the new room. However, LaLa's nursery decor was pink and green...matched well! See, good thing that I save everything!
2. Make curtains with the fabric that came with all of the wonderful craigslist goodies! It's not enough to do both windows. Instead, I put up Pottery Barn curtains that I had bought for LaLa's old room. They work for now until I can make the new ones. My girls like it dark when they sleep. I plan on using that striped fabric that you see on the bed in one of the pictures with solid dark pink. I'm trying to think of something I could embroidery on the solid portion of the curtains...poodles? french saying?
3. Hang LaLa's collector's shelf beside her bed. (I'll have to tell you about that later! It is like the ones from pottery barn, but they are a fortune! I made it out of trash...basically!
4. Hang LaLa's "princess" valance above her bed. It's from the nursery that both of the girls had from newborns. I want it to follow them as they grow up.
5. Pull out all the 18 month clothes from the closet and drawers. When I started this project in April, Little Bit could still wear them! Now, I have to pull them out just about the same time I finally finished!
6. See that white tall floor lamp? We had this lamp post in our front yard...until the contractor (from our kitchen remodel) hit it with his monster truck. It is unfixable. I plan on sweet talking my dad into using the "shell" of the lamp post that I would not let Robert throw out to make that floor lamp look like a lamp post in their room. I'm not even sure if that's possible!

LaLa's New Bed...hasn't even fallen off...YET! I love the sleigh bed! I love that it matches the crib so well! I couldn't have planned it if I would have tried!


First,, do not look at the curtains...still have to do that. Now, look at the Eiffel Tower out of chalkboard paint. The girls love it, but I have this thing about chalk EVERYWHERE...so I have to hide the chalk! Little Bit draws on EVERYTHING if you don't watch her closely!
I love this table in their room! I might paint the top with chalkboard paint too. Why didn't I put a table in their room forever ago? We use it all the time!


Close up of her duvet covers...cute, huh? I can't wait until Little Bit can use hers on her bed, but then again...I'm not ready for her to be loose at night! That's the fabric that came with the bedding. I love all the colors that it pulls in!


I need a new changing pad cover, but I am hoping to potty train in early fall. This is the changing table/dresser from the girls' nursery. I spray painted that previously white shelf, and of course, LaLa had to put her new ballet trophy on display! (Oops! I still need to post pics of my little ballerina!) I had the girls silouettes done a few months ago. I plan to frame them and put them up here as well. And, yes, they have a television in their room. It keeps me sane...they use it for rest/nap time. It only plays dvds...no cable.


A new sign to welcome the girls into their new shared room!



LOVE the details on the bed! Did I mention it matches the crib?! Ahhh...wonderful luck! All of these wonderful pillows came with the beds, bedding and such! LaLa puts them in special spots every morning...she may be a little type A like her mommy!

That's the ceiling...clouds.


Toy box...found at as a "display item" of a boutique going out of business. It's the same cream color as the beds. It's where I hide the toys they leave all over the floor!

There is no more space in this room, but I desperately need a spot for the books, books and more books that the girls have. They inherited a lot from my teaching days. I don't have any floor space...hmmm...any ideas?

I'm so close to finishing...I just need to mark off those last things on that list!

If you ask LaLa, she loves her new room because it's not just for her sister and her to share...they're best friends too! I hope they stay best friends forever!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new room!!! I fell in love with that fabric when I was designing Caroline's nursery too! I have that same striped fabric in my stash at home too! I made Caroline a bow board to display her bows (but it hangs in the closet, lol). As far as the bookshelf, what about doing a bookshelf ladder (like Pottery Barn) that hangs on the wall and doesn't take up floor space. I have a friend that has one and it is super cute.

Anonymous said...

The rooms look AMAZING... straight out of Pottery Barn... The girls are lucky to have you as a mother...

Holly said...

Did you try looking on Knock-off Wood for a book shelf? She has one that is made out of a pallet that you hang on the wall. That might work.

Emily said...

So precious! Everything you do turns out to be beautiful. Girl, your list is LONG.