Friday, April 9, 2010

A Pirate Party....Decorations & Games


Easy Pirate cupcakes....bake regular cupcakes. Add a bandana, an eye patch and a smile using icing. Use a chocolate morsel for the 'good' eye. They looked really cute on the cupcake rack.

Pirate Birthday Cake. LaLa wanted a pirate ship cake with "candy" on it...where does she get these ideas? I used swedish fish on the "ocean" and put the four pirate candles nearby as decorations so they would be close for the BIG blow out moment! This is the first time I used a cake mold pan to make a cake. Wow...it's like icing by number...so much easier than trying to shape and mold a cake! I would get frustrated because I could not mix and make colors to match the "wilton" example on the cake mold, but I believe that is probably more my OCD and not necessarily anything any normal person would notice!
I am so glad that the dollar tree seems to work with my kids' party ideas! I have just gotten really lucky that last couple years and accidently discover their requested theme at the dollar tree. Some of the napkins and decorations also came from Michaels. They were getting rid of all their pirate collections a few months ago! Everything was a quarter! Paper goods and decorations are often the biggest waste of money when you are having a party...do not forget about your local dollar store and don't wait until the last minute. If you keep your eyes open throughout the year, they will often carry what you need or what you could use with a little creativity!

The kids' table for the party. Do you see LaLa's new dollhouse she got for her birthday? My girls actually love this thing. I like listening to them pretend play with the stuff! It cracks me up!




The kids played games included a treasure hunt with a treasure map and clues. They each had their swords, their eye patches, their telescopes, and their hats that they decorated to help them find the X that marked the spot! LaLa was so determined and focused throughout the hunt. It was hilarious. Looking back on the video that my hubby took made us laugh and laugh. Her facial expressions were priceless. She would take off running before I finished the clue...at least she had fun. Little Bit trailed behind the pack trying to figure out what in the world was going on!

Okay, now turn your head sideways because I cannot figure out how to rotate it. I had it rotated when I downloaded it and it turns back all by itself...it's the computer's fault...surely, it's not my lack of skill!
Madison holding her treasure map. She was one of the head ring leaders looking for this treasure!

Other games included...walking the plank and X marks the spot (pirate version of pin the tail on the donkey). After the kids found their treasure, they went downstairs to sing Happy Birthday and for LaLa to blow out her candles. While they were sitting so still on the floor and all the parents were around, they were given some "GOLD". LaLa and her daddy went that morning and got each child a GOLDfish and a bowl. Note to self...I should have probably have included food! All those poor mommies and daddies had to stop and get food! The kids (as well as the parents-heee hee) were so excited! Robert had the fish lady bag each gold fish seperately so it would be easy to transport them to their new homes. I found bowls at the dollar store. 
Now, they could take home their very own Pirate "GOLD" as their treasure from LaLa's party!

On the next post, I'll include my two favorite pirate moments.
One of these moments actually made me tear up!

No comments: