Thursday, May 20, 2010

One phone call can change so much...


Yesterday, a friend and I thought we would steal a few minutes away from our families. I am off to the beach this week. She is off to the beach next week. We needed pedicures. Our husbands took on the role graciously of staying home and watching our girls. We sat down in these luxurious spa chairs, feet placed in warm sudsy water, and prepared for some girl chatting and some special treatment for our toes. About that time, my phone rang. It was Robert. All I gathered was panic in his voice (he never, ever panics), blood everywhere, my sweet baby crying, and that she had hit her head. My friend and I, literally, paid the lady something for the inconvenience, jumped out of the chairs, and ran to my car. Somehow I drove to my house without hitting anyone or anything. My friend did say a prayer for Little Bit, but I think part of her might have inwardly prayed for my driving!;)

As we pulled up to the house, my parents had just arrived as well. Robert called them to help with LaLa and for a car with seats if he had to run her to the hospital. Currently, my SUV is the only car we have with a backseat. Fortunately, the bleeding and crying had subsided by the time we arrived.

The story has varied according to who tells it, but from what I can gather, she was playing like the couch cushions were "lily pads" with her sister. Robert was doing the dishes (where he can still see them in the living room over the bar). She tripped in the midst of a jump and hit her head on the wall of the fireplace or coffee table...that's the sketchy part. The part where LaLa was the princess and Little Bit was the frog in the game prior to the accident is the only part that is accurate and consistent on everyone's account.

We decided to take her to Scottish Rite to make sure she was okay (concussion?) and to see if she needed stitches. They were incredible there. I was so shaken up I put her birth date as July 15, 2010...um...not quite, but they still looked at me concerned. I am somewhat of a germ fanatic and hospitals just freak me out a bit (okay, a lot). I did not want Little Bit to touch anything (not to mention that we had grabbed her and left without her shoes). We managed to keep her amused by walking and talking a lot. They checked her out immediately...head wound really gets you to the front of the line. They put this head band and numbing gel on her that had to stay on her for thirty to forty minutes. Hmmm....keeping an almost two year old from pulling it off...interesting. Then, we saw the doctor. He was great...absolutely great. I'm sure it was mostly due to my friend's prayers on the way to the house. He decided to put in a couple stitches because of its location. It would have continued to bleed and not have been able to "close" and "heal" properly. He said that there was no concussion and the wound was not too bad. He reassured us both (pale still, I'm sure) that head wounds bleed a great deal.



Then, the awful part. They swaddled her, wrapped her in a straight jacket, washed the blood out from her hair (right at her hair line), and cleaned the wound preparing it for stitches. She fought and fought to get out of that thing. She was crying, sweating, and pleading for "mama and dada to help". Heart breaking and breaking and breaking. Completely helpless. I am not good in emergencies. I cannot even sugarcoat the extent of my lack of ability to deal with them. I thought I was going to pass out when they took that thing and began to stitch her up.

Once it was over, she was fine. Her daddy handed her milk and her blanket, and she placed her head on my shoulder and fell asleep before we walked to the car. It had been an eventful day for a little girl....and me.

The first thing she said when she woke up was...ow...boo boo...hair hurt. Yes, baby, your "hair" will hurt for a couple days. You are just going to have stop being such a monkey! I think it is going to be Little Bit that gives me a heart attack and makes me gray WAY before my time. She has no fear. Sometimes, I want to be more like that myself. Sometimes, I long for the days when she didn't know how to be mobile yet and was safe!

The stitches should dissolve in a few days. Until then, we can't brush her hair. I can't remember whether or not we can wash it. Hats at the beach...she can't touch it...all that fun stuff. Do you see that girls crazy hair? Well, she will have that same crazy hair for a few days it seems!
It just amazes me that ONE...one simple phone call...can change so much...so fast. Fortunately, it all worked out, and I can this blog post to her scrapbook. Let's just hope that it's the last entry that results in a head wound and blood. On another note...does anyone know how to get blood stains out of a cute Bailey Boys outfit and couch cushions????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad she's feeling better!! Hope yall have a fun, relaxing time at the beach!! :) brooke

Holly Barr said...

Tammy,
Use peroxide. It works like a charm. Charlie has been having nose bleeds really badly a lot lately. I get him up and there is blood all over him and his sheets. I have found if you pour peroxide on the blood before you wash it, it will dissolve it instantly. Then wash it as normal. I don't know about your couch. You might try the peroxide in a hidden spot. Then blot with a wet towel. See what happens.