Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Have you ever wondered what your life would be life if…?

My goal lately has been to live in the moment. This lesson was a Bible study that I heard several weeks ago that has been on my mind. How often do you live in the moment? I mean fully live in this exact moment? When you are sitting in church listening to the sermon, are you making your to do list in your head rather than taking in that exact moment? (I am.) When you are driving in your car from place to place, are you living in that exact moment? (I am usually struggling to entertain my children, focus on driving, and talking on my cell phone.) When you are with your children, do you drink in every drop of that moment? (I don’t. I am usually saying, “I can only play for one more minute. Then, I have to get dinner started.”) Wow, are there really that many moments that I miss? Are there that many moments that I do not take full advantage of by living in it completely?

I had always thought that my multi-tasking ability was one of my best attributes. Now, I am not so sure. That attribute might be in part responsible for making my mind race and wonder when I should be living my fullest life in every moment. Do I sometimes make wrong decisions or wrong turns in life because I am not in the moment? Would I have the opportunity to enjoy life and my children more if I was in the moment? Would I hear and feel God more within those focused moments?

James 4:14 says, “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.” Regardless your religious preference…we most believe in one thing: life is short here on earth.

We know life is short. We know we are not promised tomorrow, yet I allow my moments to get stolen.

It is difficult to focus on living within each moment. My brain has been trained to multi-task, to rush through each activity to get to the next, to be productive, to make my decisions based on a quick response not giving myself time to consider what I think and feel or meditate on God’s desires. Try it. Try to be consumed with each and every moment today. IF you are talking to your preschooler, put your entire self into that conversation. My preschooler talks so much that it is really difficult. My eyes glaze over after a while. Do you know my biggest flaw? My most difficult thing I overcome every day? To focus on a task. My mind wanders while I write. It wanders while I fold clothes. My mind wanders and races so I venture into another task or thought. Would I actually be more productive if I lived within the moment? Would I actually (gasp) enjoy or actually complete putting away laundry?


What would my life be IF I lived within every moment? I wonder…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great post... well written and so true... robert g