Monday, April 26, 2010

I don't like my kitchen results in a kitchen mess!

Have you ever noticed that when you start one 'home improvement' project, it will often spread like wild fire?! I think we just get inspired. My wild fire starts slowly. One idea inspires another until I am peeking out below a never ending list of ideas and projects!

As I promised, here are the before pictures of my kitchen. We (actually my mom) painted the cabinets last Labor Day from an off white to white. We added hardware and a new lighting fixture. We had talked so much over the last six years about changes we would like to make to our kitchen that no one actually took us seriously in my family when we truly decided this time. We have debated year after year. Then, we would decide it was too much of an investment and make do with what we had. Finally, after saving and saving...after discussing and debating...after visiting store upon store, we did it!

Things that drove us crazy in our kitchen?

The floors. They had a dark pink grout that would never, ever come completely clean.


The floors were white tile. They showed every doggie footprint and crumb. I had resorted to sweeping twice and mopping once every day, and my floors would still  look dirty! The kitchen has two exit doors that encouraged even more tracking in from the garage and the backyard.

The appliances. This was more my hubby's master plan, but I have to say they made a BIG difference.

Countertops. We had pink corian countertops...I don't need to say anything else.

Backsplash. This was not in our plan. It was a kind of last minute decision that is my all-time favorite part of the kitchen!


Well, that WAS my kitchen. It is so wonderful now that I just might sleep down there every night. It's my favorite room in the entire house. I have been cooking...just to play with the new stuff. I have been reorganizing...because it was so dusty after construction AND because the new kitchen just begs for order. I have been cleaning...just because it's too wonderful to leave messy.

Yes, the construction and chaos was worth it! Check back to see how we got to the final result!

No comments: