Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Show some Dr. Seuss Love!

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

I didn't plan on sharing this today, but since it is a great opportunity to have some fun with your kids, I thought I would go ahead! Check back tomorrow to see what fun my kids and husband had over the weekend!

A lot of kiddos are celebrating Dr. Seuss this week because it's his birthday! Dr. Seuss is just so much fun so I wanted to share some ideas that might inspire you to go a little Dr. Seuss silly too!

LaLa and I made OOBLECK to take to her preschool class. The book, Bartholomew and the OOBLECK, is long, but it has a great message. The king learns that he made a mistake, but there was something he could do to fix his mistake. He could admit it was his fault and say those magic words..."I'm Sorry!" That was right up our alley with what we have been working on it in our house! OOBLECK was super fun to make, but you have to be brave! IF you are not so brave, make it first, and then let them squish their little hands in it!

Recipe for OOBLECK (there are quite a few...here is an easy one)

  • 2 cups corn starch

  • 2 drops of food coloring (I put mine in the water before mixing)

  • water (add it in a half of a cup at a time and stir. it is usually close to the same amount of starch you put in.)

Other favorite Dr. Seuss things to do with little ones...

1. anything rhyming! You can't help but to rhyme when you read a Dr. Seuss book. It's perfect to teach and master those concepts!

2. have a Dr. Seuss book fest! Grab lots of pillows and snacks, cuddle up, and read your favorites!

3. make a Dr. Seuss hat & teach patterns (red, white, red, white)

4. bake a cake and sing happy birthday!

5. read Green Eggs & Ham. Then, you can eat green eggs and ham. I sent in some to LaLa's class on Monday. I wish I would've taken a picture because it looked so gross! Her teacher said they loved it though!

6. read the Foot Book. Trace your kid's feet, cut them out and use them to measure things. Little Bit didn't get this concept. She just wanted to keep stepping on the paper again...and again...and again.

7. read a Great Day for Up and draw all the things you can think of that can go UP, UP, UP!

8. our last one that we are doing this week is to watch a Dr. Seuss movie for movie night. LaLa's little class is watching Horton Hears a Who! I think we might watch it again that night and make little whos out of pipe cleaners and googly eyes. There are lots of good Dr. Seuss movies out though! My kids learned to jump on the couch from the movie, The Cat in the Hat (thanks Dr. Seuss). PLUS, I didn't realize everyone didn't know this until I told two girlfriends of mine...and they didn't know! They do now and take advantage of it, but BLOCKBUSTER is doing 99 cent family/kid movies. We go on Fridays and get a few for a week. Cheap and easy! There is also a BIG variety!

Great Links...


No comments: