Thursday, March 18, 2010

Random Little Trick

Of course, I cannot just start any post off like a normal person. I have to add random little tidbits first. There are two things I am not...although I try. First, I am not a photographer. You can see my fingers in the shadow of the picture. I tried to turn off the flash and on the flash with no luck in improving the picture. Do you see my pink corian countertops in the background. I love the quality of my countertops in my kitchen. They are tough. I can cut on them, put hot stuff on them, and probably jump (I've stood on them but I have not jumped on them yet) on them without causing any harm. However, they are pink. My husband and mom try to say big random other neutral colors to sway my opinion, but they are ultimately pink. However, (hubby if you read this, which you probably won't) I think a brand new wonderful fancy smancy camer would probably even make my countertops look better...not to mention make up for my bad photography skills! (It would be a lot cheaper than new countertops. I'm waiting for those when you sell a kidney or win the lottery!) Okay... now on to the next detour...I am not a baker either. I like to pretend sometimes. I tend to find complicated pictures on the internet and get determined to imulate the same creation. Now, most of these people are professional bakers and have been trained, yet I am stubborn and go out asking random questions to random people and buying random things to try to copy their wonderful baking creations...especially for my kids' birthday parties. If people only knew that it usually takes much frustration, burnt cakes, and yelling in defeat before I finally finish the product. Just so you know, this is why I laugh if you have ever complimented me on my kids' birthday cakes! I'm thinking if you only knew! Here is one of my mama tricks that has completely saved me late at night when I had ran out of icing bags to ice a cake.

I think most people may know this little trick, but a friend of mine was totally in awe when I shared it with her so I though, "Hmm...maybe others do not know it either!" My mom taught me this a long time ago when I was in a frantic before a party about not having any icing bags. It's a quick fix and quite cheap!


This is my used icing bag after I iced the cupcakes. You just grab a ziploc (or small plastic storage bag of any kind). Place your icing tip (see, I am not a baker) at the corner and make a small hole until it just comes out of the edge of the bag. You can buy a set of four icing tips pretty cheap at most places. Then, spoon your icing in from the opening of the bag. Squeeze the bag evenly until it comes out the icing tip. Voila!

Yeah, you can just call me the Cake Boss... hee hee

No comments: