Thursday, February 11, 2010

Save your Sanity...Try a Fort!


She said the sparkles were tinkerbell dust.


I'm desperate. Absolutely desperate. I need something. I mean anything that would make my little one happy. She has been hacky coughing so much that she can't sleep. Do you know what happens when a three year old can't sleep? I am praying for patience and creativity.

The prayers must have work because I have not heard any whining, crying, or squawking in minutes. Actually, I think the coughing has even subsided to a minimum.

On that note, I put a call into the doctor this morning. She finally called back and because of LaLa's fever (which has broke), complaining about hurting when she goes potty (has a history of kidney reflux) and this hacky cough that is causing her to throw up and be miserable...we have to go back to the doctor's office this afternoon. I'm normally a very conservative mommy on medication. BUT not this time. I want drugs. Give her something to make her feel better. WE were just there forty eight hours ago and left with a chest xray and diagnosis of a viral infection and maybe something starting up. That's an expensive appointment for nothing to be specifically wrong with her...just my thoughts. Don't you hate that?!

Before...

Okay...back to answered prayers. Creativity struck...I'm giving God credit because I actually had just desperately prayed for inspiration and patience! I was moving the chairs to vacuum under the table (umm...still haven't done it after Sunday's company...) and eyed the clean, folded blankets on the stairs (you know from all the LAUNDRY from the three year old throwing up after coughing until she's blue).

After...

Ah-ha! I told LaLa to stay on the couch for a big surprise (not that she was really moving and groovin' anywhere anyway besides being attached to me). I used the blankets to put over the table, grabbed a disco ball and light (I think this stuff was from when I was in college...a LONG time ago! See, hubby, labeling the boxes in the garage did help.), made yummy snacks (oreos, grapes, carrots, and strawberries--desperate attempts to get the sick one to eat anything), lots of pillows and blankets, a mommy note, and hauled down LaLa's little tv. I wanted Christmas lights, but I couldn't reach that box! We turned on Cinderella and climbed in. The note was a big hit because she couldn't figure out how to "get" it because it was on top of the glass table facing down at her. Hee-hee to think like a three year old! As Little Bit says, "TA-DA!" A good old fashioned fort with a few surprises.

Mommy Note that I placed face down on the glass table before throwing blankits on it. It was hilarious listening to her tell me that I was magic because she can't figure out how it's stuck there and she can't touch it.

Let me just tell you...this simple idea saved my sanity...at least for now...We both actually fell asleep under the table for a little while. Can you imagine if someone stopped by? "Oh, just come on in. We were just napping under the dining room table." 8) Little Bit was sleeping in her crib. She may be the Godzilla of a fort when she discovers it!

No pictures, please. Is that actually a small smile from the sick one?

As for when the fun wears off, who knows?!

It seems a lot of us are (or will) be covered in snow. You may not have sick ones to entertain, but you may enjoy a good fort if you have bored little ones! Let us know if you try it out!

Off we go, off we go...to doctors office we go...again! Yep, it's our new theme song!

No comments: