Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I love it, I love it not...


I have been talking to friends lately about being a mom, especially a stay at home mom...
It reminds me of pulling a petal off at a time...

I love it...
              I love it not...
                                 
More on that on a different day...there is only so much time when you have a houseful of people running fever and tired of being tired!

I have truly realized one thing that I absolutely LOVE about being a MOM.

I love seeing myself through their eyes. Well, I do most of the time.

Little Bit was crying yesterday in her bed. While I am getting ready to head upstairs to get her, I hear in the intercom, "It's okay sweet baby. Don't cry. LaLa is right here."

Hubby brought girls a balloon (big hit in our world) to cheer them up from feeling bad yesterday. Little Bit runs saying "Oh, gaw." I laughed saying where in the world did she get that from? My husband laughed saying she sounds just like me....oops!:)

At the super bowl party, LaLa was in the craft/office room playing with some other kids. I heard her tell one of the toddlers as they were "creating" art work, "Don't be vusterated. You just have to do your very best. See you can do it. This is great work." (hmmm...I believe she has heard those same words in our craft attempts!)

Again, at the party, I see LaLa give a little boy a toy and say, "I'm so glad you're here. Make yourself at home. You can play with any of my toys." (hee hee...she probably shares better than I do though.)

Little Bit dropped her bowl of puffs. She promptly drops the entire bowl, puts both palms on her forehead and said, "Oh, no!" (surely, I am not that dramatic!)

LaLa waiting at the top of the stairs for her daddy to come tuck her in (for the fifth time...at least) yells, "Roooobeeert, I've already asked you nicely twice!" (oops! sounded just like me. I may have to work on that one!)

At the doctor yesterday, LaLa whined and asked how much longer do we have to wait. (yeah, I am one of those crazy moms that won't let her touch anything in the sick room.) I told her not much longer and encouraged her to play I spy with me. She said, "Mommy, do you have any paper or a pen in your purse?" I told her yes and gave it to her asking her if she was going to draw a picture. She said, "No, mommy, I'm trying to write my list of what I'm going to do later." (the OCD is genetic...isn't it?)

LaLa walking by the chair accidentally stubbed her toe on it. She promptly replies, "Shoot!" and kept walking. (hmm...need to work on that one too)

Last but not least...Last night, she and I both felt completely horrible. Thinking she was enthralled in her movie and cuddled on the couch, I collapsed on the floor (which actually felt wonderful to just be able to stop moving). I suddenly felt a blanket being pulled haphazardly over me. I looked up to see LaLa covering me up and running to get me a pillow. Then, she sat beside me moving my hair out of my face saying, "just close your eyes and rest. I'll make you better." (What a sweet baby!)

It's that wonderful moment that I feel like she is growing up right...like maybe by the grace of God, I am doing this mama thing right. It may only last for a second, but that second makes me love being a mom.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Great stories! I totally understand the first part. I LOVE being a mom, but being a stay at home mom is REALLY hard! I've been struggling with this lately.

Heather said...

I totally understand. I'm a stay at home mom too. I wouldn't change it for the world though.
Love the little stories of your girl. She sounds so sweet. You must be doing something right!
=D

Tammy said...

Thanks, Heather, she is super sweet...well, most of the time! I think we have to think of the BIG picture. Bethany, I often go back and forth about should I go back to work. I hear all the time about I can't believe you have a doctorate and you stay home...
Then, I battle too with how hard it will be to go back to work one day after being out for so long. It's my own mommy war in my head! But you and I both know as former teachers that it does make a difference in kids' lives. If you have the opportunity to stay home....(even though it's hard because you lose so much of yourself), I try to remember that one day when I am really old, this is what I will remember (the times staying home with my girls). I'll forget all the mommy wars, loneliness, and frustrations, and I will only remember those special moments. It's just so difficult to remember that in those rough, unappreciated, and mindless moments!

Holly said...

I can totally relate to the girls sounding like you. Today, Charlie was a holy terror all day. Maybe it had something to do with the snow and being cooped up inside. But at one point I said "Gaw Dang Charlie, will you just stop jumping on me." He replied "Gaw Dang Mommy" I know I had a look of shock on my face. James just rolled his eyes and said, "That one is all you, way to go."