Friday, February 12, 2010

Baby Proof with Style!

Of course part of our mama drama with kids is baby proofing. I think every family has to baby proof according to their child's curiosity or ability. Some houses will need minimum baby proofing because their children may not be as adventurous or...umm...let's just say creative. If you follow my blog, you know that my kids fall into the busy, creative, adventurous, and can you believe they thought of that?! category.

Well, if we must baby proof, I think we should definitely do it with some crafty style. I saw these little thingies (technical term) at a boutique a while back. They were nine dollars. Yes, I'm serious. Nine dollars for one. My brain was instantly thinking, "You have gotta be kidding. I can so make that for a lot less."


They are very easy. AND, this was something that was easily versatile for a boy or a girl. In fact, you can switch them out when you need a change. All you need is a hot glue gun (or some strong craft adhesive), little painted, wood item(s) (I found these for .50 to .99 at Michaels), and a box of outlet covers. I obviously went on some sort of bender at one point or another buying these wood animals because I found several of them in my craft closet. The flowers were used to "label" drawers in LaLa's room, and the jungle animals were for some project that I intended but didn't do for the girls' bathroom! We have boxes and boxes of outlet covers. When I was pregnant with Little Bit, I thought I'd save time by registering online at a local Baby superstore. Well, rather than clicking 1 for outlet covers, I accidently clicked 11...too many ones. So, if you have received outlet covers with your baby gift in the past, that is probably why!!

Hmm...now where is my glue gun? I had just collected my materials, and so impressed that I had remembered to snap a picture only to find my glue gun had walked away! Of course, with kids and crafts, you have to look in the unobvious places...Ah ha...there it is...


You just have to put a dab of hot glue or craft adhesive on the back of an outlet cover. Then, push it firmly onto the animal or item. Let it dry completely before you stick it in the outlet. If you get a little anxious and plug it in before it is dry, it will come off the next time you pull out the outlet cover to use your plug in!


It makes a fun difference in boring outlets...

        Before...So boring!

After...with a sweet monkey hiding the outlets...perfect for our jungle themed bathroom.


Before...in LaLa's Charlotte's Web themed room...takes away from her cute grass bordering the wall.

After...I had to keep the outlet cover in the bottom holes because the flower only covered the top one.
I think I could have glued it lower and covered them both...but I'm too lazy to do it again! The flower used to have labels in the center. I found these oval mirrors on clearance for .25 (pack of 3) at Michaels. They fit perfectly in the little flower's center. It would be fun if you had a little toddler pulling up to see himself/herself in flower mirrors around the room. They look like they "fit" mixed in the grass around LaLa's room. She decided on all flowers, one ladybug, and a little frog to cover her outlets.

Hmmm...now, off to do another breathing treatment with LaLa! I think we are all getting better! AND, of course, to enjoy the snow falling in Georgia. Can you believe it?! Snow...twice in one year in the SOUTH! Of course, they closed schools in our county last night because of the chance of snow! If they just say snow in the South, they shut it all down!

I've never done this before, BUT I am going to try to link to DIY day on a Soft Place to Land...Click the link here to check it out and all the fun, creative do it yourself ideas! Plenty to get your crafty, mama brains busy on a snowy, cold day!

No comments: