Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Mama's List of "I nevers"...


Things I thought I would never do...

  • *bribe my kids (I am the one who opens things in the grocery store in order to let my kids snack so I can make it through my list.)
  • *obsess about poop (the color of poop, if they are pooping too much or not enough, how to get them to poop in a potty...and so on.)
  • *breastfeed in public (you do what you have to do when your baby is screaming).
  • *hold a toddler/baby and still go potty myself.
  • *say bye bye and pretend like I'm really leaving in order to persuade my child to actually leave or come wherever.
  • *count to three...(seriously, we all know that we'll go beyond three to get our kids to give in. my kids probably think that I can't count past three).
  • *talk baby talk. (it's just really cute when LaLa says "whirld" for "world" and Little Bit says "kukay" for "okay")
  • *miss working.
  • *love anything/anyone as much as I love my children.
  • *be naked in front of people and not care...(once you're in labor, you lose all sense of modesty).
  • *eat at McDonald's (I'm a picky fastfood eater).
  • *love to eat gerber fruit snacks (they don't stick in your teeth.)
  • *get bored as a mama (mentally).
  • *get lonely as a mama (even though I rarely get to go to the bathroom or shower alone).
  • *coupon (it's now an obsession).
  • *not keep up to date scrapbooks for my kids.
  • *let my kids watch tv...even non-educational cartoons
  • *try to be "domesticated". (is that a word?)
  • *be able to cook (the teachers I worked with early in my career would be impressed. i didn't know how to make kool-aid when I first got married.)
  • *carry 2 kids at once.
  • *change a toddler/baby's diaper on my lap. (LaLa was the first diaper I ever changed without help.)
  • *clean up spit up/vomit...(still not my strong point. i have thrown a towel on it and waited for my hubby to get home before.)
  • *not take a shower.
  • *go (well, let's just say "a long time") without shaving my legs
  • *spend all my money on my kids' clothes and not me...not at all. (i think this is a mama habit that most of us do. we become way back on our list of necessitites.)
  • *compare myself to others.
  • *wipe a nose with whatever I can find...and I mean whatever.
  • *leave my house with something mysterious stained on my shoulder...spit up, snotty stuff, who knows?
  • *question my decisions and actions.
  • *be able to sing the Elmo theme song.
  • *know all the Wiggle's dance moves.
  • *want to "peek" in the windows everytime I drop my kid off at school (ugh...those mamas used to drive me crazy as a teacher. i get it now!:))
  • *miss going to school (I'm a nerd.)
What have you done as a mama that you thought you would never do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not care if my house wasn't clean

use one of those back-pack leash things on my child

eat my children's 'leftovers'

... and these are just the things i've done TODAY that i said i would never do!

and i could say me too to most of your list! :)

Bethany said...

I'm nodding my head in agreement with almost all of them!

*when saying our bedtime prayers...say 'let Caroline stay in her bed ALL NIGHT and come to mommy's room when the sun comes up.' over and over and over every night!