Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Watch out this woman has power tools!

I'm so going to post my want list. Oh, I'm quite serious. You know when you sit and go through a catalog and circle everything you want. Then, you consequently toss it in the garbage because it was something crazy expensive like coach or pottery barn. I even have a friend that walks through Target picking up this and that. She has no intention of buying it. She puts it all back. It's her own therapy. Well, I have been working with LaLa about needs and wants. I really think someone needs to work on that with me because lately I have probably been the same way...my wanting just isn't followed by incessant whining! So, I'm writing my want list...you know for therapy. Maybe I can even get it out of my system! I'm working on it, and it is actually kind of fun to create a want list. Go ahead...you know you want to!

BUT first...let me tell you about another (yes, another) obsession. It is a new discovery. It is this awesome, awesome blog that tells you how (specifically) to build the things I LOVE...pottery barn-ish furniture. I love to build stuff, but I don't have a lot of background with tools and such. I did grow up with parents that built a few houses that we lived in. For a while, my dad even bought, fixed up and sold homes as a hobby on the side. I might have picked up a few things from watching them while growing up. However, I know there is a big difference from watching, knowing a little background and actually doing it. We have a family business of automotive repair companies (fancy way to say body and paint shops). I know the difference in the parts of a car & I could probably prep a car to be painted from growing up around that too BUT can you imagine me knocking out a dent?! That would be trouble. I am trying to remind myself of that before I go buy out Home Depot with good intentions without the follow through that results in piles of lumber sitting in our garage!

Now, how might you ask does this tie into my want list??? Well, I think I just might want a table saw of my own...some hot pink saw horses, maybe a jigsaw...an automatic nail gun shooter (probably should learn right name!)...I'm a woman on a mission! My brother says my kids will be grown by the time I finish a project...ahhh...such a non believer.

I'll be posting up my want list soon....let me know what you would include on yours...be totally indulgent and selfish!

Oh, yeah, the link is Knock off wood.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I LOVE this website! I found it a few months ago and was determined after seeing how simple her plans were, that I am now going to make Caroline's 'big girl' bed. Funny thing though...I don't have any powertools!! My stepdad is going to bring his and we're going to get to work in April on it. If all goes well, I also plan on building the toyroom unit with the chalkboard doors. LOVE IT!!!

Holly said...

OH! I love that site. I have been stalking it for a few months now. I am totally gonna make the Farmhouse Bed for Charlie so he can have a big boy bed. I read on her blog or facebook or something, that you can go to Home Depot or you local lumber yard, tell them the cuts you need, and they will cut it all for you for a small fee. Then all you need is a drill - no cutting involved. That will save money buying tools. I too love Pottery Barn, but I don't love the prices.

Tammy said...

Ooooh...I will try the home depot thing! I have been trying to round up power tools from family. They just keep telling me that I will lose a finger.