Monday, February 22, 2010

Bless Her Heart

This is definitely not what I planned on posting today! I guess I'll save what I had planned and share something else...Okay, I just have to share about my day...because you will laugh...hard. I laughed. Well, I laughed...after I cried!

It's one of those things where you just can't truly, truly appreciate it unless you were there, but I'll try to share it anyway.

Here's the background...my little yorkie max is not feeling well. After a week, I decided it was legitimate and not just a little dog pouting (which actually does happen) and took him to the vet today. I was very surprised that they could get me in today; however, I was not prepared at all. I had dropped LaLa at school on time (surprisingly). After missing two weeks of school between being sick, a snow day, and a week of mid-winter vacation, we were struggling to get up, get it together and get out this morning. We also had to remember all of her teacher appreciation items from the week she was out and her valentines to exchange (which she forgot to pass out today anyway).  As you can understand (surely you can sympathize so far), we were lucky to make it to preschool, on time in one piece. We were all dressed, but I had decided to leave Little Bit in her cozy footed pajamas. She was asleep when I put her in the car this morning anyway.

Well, as soon as I made it back home from dropping LaLa off I put Little Bit back to bed. She immediately fell sound asleep. On my way downstairs, the vet called me back. They could get my Max in to see the vet in 20 minutes (p.s. I live 20-25 minutes away) or I'd have to wait several days. Well, off I run to get Little Bit back in the car (still in her jammies and with no shoes) and then I put my little Max in the car. Off we go to the vet. As I am driving, I realize several things....I have no collar/leash for the dog. I have no shoes or clothes on my child. How am I going to carry them all inside. Well, let's just say a couple hundred dollars later and a follow up visit for Friday, my Max will be okay (my husband is dying over the cost though). He is on antibiotics & pain meds too. That officially makes everyone in my family on antibiotics except for Little Bit and Brutus (my other dog). People and the animals (we saw cats, dogs, a lizard, and a bunny) looked at me with either pity at juggling my child and my dog or they were entertained. I was their personal three ring circus. At one moment, the vet tech had to run after an escaping Little Bit. I was holding Max on the table, and Little Bit somehow opened this locking contraption on the door and took off...looking for a cow by the way (why not? there was every other animal there!).

On my way out, I paid...hmmm...holding a wiggly one year old and a pitiful yorkie and trying to sign a slip of paper. It was creative to say the least. On that note, the tech came out and wanted to give Max his first dose of meds before we left. I decided to take Little Bit on out and wait in front of my car for her to bring Max to me. I waited and waited. Then, I peeked in and asked the receptionist. A different tech returns with the biggest dog...it looked like a small horse. I didn't notice at first because I was fidgeting with Little Bit, and the lady asked if I wanted her to put the dog (Max she said) in the car. I said sure, he has a car seat in the passenger seat. I look over and this lady is trying to put a monster in my front seat. NOOOOO!!! I yelled. Yes, I did. I was stunned. I tried to tell her that was not my dog even if that dog was a Max. My dog is a small, very small yorkshire terrier...hence...the small doggie car seat in my car! Well, I got my dog, and we went on our way.

I thought I'd run into Target with my thirty minutes to spare before I picked up LaLa from school. Then, as I was sitting there, I saw this young, cute girl get out of her SUV. She grabbed her purse and was talking on her cell phone. She opened her back door. She locked the doors; then, she threw her keys in her purse. She slid her purse up on her shoulder and leaned in the backseat to unlatch a super cute little girl. She proceeded to put the little girl on her hip while talking on her cell phone. I had to say, as I watched, that I was pretty impressed at how she was juggling everything. Then, I saw her shut the back door. She froze. absolutely froze. Her face contorted. I saw her pull her arm, yet her arm would not budge. I saw her drop her cell phone and pull on the door handle. She simply stood there for several minutes I'm sure. She looked in pain or maybe in shock or confused. Maybe she was thinking. I'm not sure. I wondered what this beautiful, talented lady could be doing.

Then, I saw her put down the small toddler on the parking lot. What in the world was she doing? The child had footy jammies on and no shoes. The concrete was wet from a morning storm. Hmmm...why would she do that? The lady dropped her purse on the ground and began digging through it looking for something. In the meantime, she was trying to corral the toddler with her leg so she wouldn't dart off in the parking lot and that other hand was still up by the door. So, here is this woman with one hand up by the door not moving it. One hand is digging through her purse. One leg is planted on the ground. The other leg is trying to keep the toddler in her jammies within reach. Any guesses?

Suddenly, the lady looks relieved and pulls her keys out of her purse. She frantically hits buttons, opens the back door again (child is walking off), and pulls her hand out of the door jam. Bless her heart (this is my southern way of saying "oh, that poor dumb sweet girl"). She runs to swoop up her wandering toddler before (thankfully) she walks too far away, grabs her purse, and holds up her arm. Yep, you may have figured it out....This is about the time that I realized that this was happening to me. I hold up my hand as blood was pouring all over my hand, arm and jeans. Fortunately, a nice (an angel from God) that works for Target happened to be in the bathroom and helped me. By the way, Target does not have paper towels only blowie things that will not help you in such circumstances as these. I think I would have completely passed out...not because of the pain but because of the blood if she had not been there!

Well, that was my mama drama for the day...heck, that should cover me for a few months or maybe the year?! I'm thinking my poor thumb nail may not survive...it makes me nauseous to even think about it. It's actually a great story to tell...if only I was actually watching it happen to someone else! Did you notice my adjectives that I used to describe the lady:)? hee hee I figured I deserved those after my ordeal!

1 comment:

Disheveled Medic said...

That makes me hurt just thinking about it. Hope your hand is better soon. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the burpies I e-mailed you about. Started my own blog today, feel free to take a peek but consider yourself warned!