Thursday, February 18, 2010

Gotta Do What You Gotta Do!

When is the last time you had the opportunity to sit back and watch a movie with your hubby? If you have small children, it has probably been a while. Going to see a movie takes a great deal of action on your part. You must plan a babysitter, pay a babysitter (ugh), deem a movie wonderful enough to rush there and rush home...maybe go out to eat in the midst of your date if you are feeling advantageous (or if you have made family feel sorry enough for you to babysit for free!) Well, I think Robert and I have solved at least a portion of this dilemma. We work very hard to be creative in order to do fun stuff with little ones and on a budget. It usually involves an act of congress and the begging of family to help orchestrate some time off, but not this time...
A drive in movie... 

Yes, I'm serious. They still have these around, and I have to say that they are GREAT! We visited this one in Atlanta a couple times during the summer. We were newbies to this concept, and we weren't quite prepared. IF you live in or near Atlanta, I highly recommend this idea! I'm sure they are around other areas as well...it may just take a little research first. I didn't even know we had one until this summer AND get this...it's 20-25 minutes away! I know seriously...all this time, I could have actually seen movies when my girls were little...and loud.

My Suggestions for a drive in movie with "younguns'"...
  • If they are preschoolers, try explaining the concept. We told LaLa that they play a movie for grown ups on the big screen and made a big deal about letting her choose a movie for the back.
  • In our world, we do not let them out of their car seat. If we do, it is all over! They sit in their car seat and watch their movie while we watch ours...the exception is if we have to go potty, but then it is right back in your car seat.
  • Bring blankets and lovies to get cozy...and hopefully they will fall asleep.
  • Bring lots and lots of snacks.
  • Bring dinner for you and your guy.
  • Most weekend nights are a double feature. When the girls were younger during the summer, we would have shuffling during the first movie, but we would get to enjoy the second, late night one because they would fall asleep! However, we were quite tired!
  • You get to TALK during your movie!
  • You can wear sweatpants and a sweatshirt. No one will ever know....unless you go potty!
  • Bonus: you can bring ANY food...you don't have to pay for the expensive concessions!
  • Bonus: IF your kids do scream or talk, you don't have to leave the movie!
  • Put your kids in their jammies. Ours either fall asleep during the movie or on the way home. We just put them in their bed when we get home.
We went out last night. We never got out of our car. We were all in cozy, comfy clothes. We got to see Valentine's Day. Both kids fell asleep in the car. We spent 15 dollars total. Ahhh...sweet success...and I GOT to see a grown up movie!

Do you have any great and sneaky date ideas? A date...even a sneaky one...can be great for your marriage and your mental state as a mama!



2 comments:

Heather said...

oohhh What a great idea. That place isn't too far from me either.

I haven't been to the movies in over a year...

Amber said...

I love this idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to suprise my husband!