Thursday, January 21, 2010

Save Time & Tears! Morning & Bedtime Routines with Picture Cards

Did I mention our crazy morning the other day? That might have something to do with my latest inspiration! No, I have been planning on doing this for a long time. It's probably long overdue! We utilized picture cards a lot in the classroom. It was especially helpful with special needs children to establish routines. See, I knew that time in Special Education classes would pay off one day...just didn't think it would be with my OWN children! I think routines are essential to keep the chaos away! Now, how do you convince a toddler and a preschooler of that? Usually, I would say over and over...we need to do this, did you do that? Hopefully, this is where my nifty morning and bedtime routines will kick in!

I tried to keep it short and simple. By the way, you can't just post them up (even if it is the same thing you do every morning and evening) and think it's going to work. It takes some "home training" as my husband calls it. My girls were so thrilled with the cards...little things make them so excited. If you would like a copy of the documents, just email me and I'll be glad to send it. Then, you can alter them as you need for your children. I did it using Word 2007, I think... See, I'm not tech savvy...so simple was best for me anyway!


This is what you need. Printer, Computer (unless you want to just draw it), glue, scissors, ribbon, glue gun, laminator or pages from photo album. I started to laminate the picture cards. Then, I opted for the pages in the photo album so I could simply slide a different card in and out if our routine changed. I'm all about using what you have and not buying anything extra. If you don't have something, try to be creative!

Cut the photo album pages so you have individual pockets. I printed the pictures out on cardstock and matted them on black cardstock to make them extra sturdy.


Why is it always the last one that gives you trouble?! I'm not a "pre-measurer"! I'm a guesser, and I just sized and cut the cards by guessing what size. You may want to measure to be sure. I didn't have any problems until the last card. I had to cut a bit of the black mat off to get it to fit. You can't notice though!


Okay, this is where I skip steps because my kids were up. I had to work fast to get finished, and I forgot to take pictures. It's simple though! I used ribbon to make a loop at the top and added a sun (made from cardstock) to indicate morning routine. Next, I used a 2 inch piece of ribbon on both sides of the top of the cards to attach them together. I used hot glue on the ribbon to the photo sleeve.

There are other ways to create a routine chart. You could have a flip chart where they are attached by a ring. They would flip the card over once they have completed that task in order to do the next one. I think this would be good with older children. My girls are still young and needed to see start to finish. You could also try a checklist. I had one of these on the dash of my car when I was in high school (so I would remember stuff I needed for school and afterschool activities) thanks to my mom. I thought it was corny...and I would have never admitted it then, but it was actually handy!

Last, I hung them up on each sides of the girls' bathroom mirror. Now, they can follow their routine with visual reminders. Do you know how difficult it was to take a picture without me being in the reflection?! Pretty tricky!


This is the evening routine on the opposite side of the mirror.

Now, on to the rest of the stuff that I keep meaning to do...

No comments: