Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Tiny Morning Terror!

Have you ever dropped your child off at school and either said or thought, "Good Luck!" to the teacher? Well, today was one of those days! I remember parents telling me that phrase as they dropped off their little ones when I was teaching. Usually, the child was wonderful, and I had no idea what the parent was talking about. I think they sometimes just save it all up for their parents. At other times, I thought, "This parent couldn't handle their own child this morning, and now they expect me too???" Wow, how you gain such a different understanding when you cross over to the parent side!

This morning I woke her up with our happy morning song. We were not running late. However, she was determined to make me muster up all my mama energy to just get her out of the door! I'm cold. I'm hot. I'm tired. I don't want to get up. I don't want to go to preschool. I don't want to wear that shirt. Why do I have to wear what everyone else wears? (They have uniforms.) This doesn't feel right. I want to wear pink shoes. I didn't want that for breakfast. I am not hungry. My carseat is cold. The car is hot. My tights itch. My legs are tired of hiding in my tights. I want to wear my hair down. I don't want Little Bit to look at me.
The list goes on and on....

She is usually a morning person and quite excited about preschool, but today was an exception. We have had a difficult time getting back in the routine of things after winter break, especially with other additional breaks of snow days and MLK day. Maybe she didn't sleep well? Maybe she needed a personal day? I don't think kids have that...hmmm...maybe an idea though. Regardless, she was a tiny terror this morning.

In the car ride to school, I said, "LaLa, remember to be good today. Be kind and share. Do what your teacher says. Remember, she will tell me if you aren't a good listener or don't take turns. It will make me so happy if you do your best." LaLa replied, "Mommy, that's just too much to remember for preschool when you're only three." I think she can manage though...especially with a comment like that as a response!

As we walked into school, I was thinking this is not going to be easy to get her to stay. However, she skipped right in, kissed me and Little Bit goodbye, and went off to play as happy as could be!? What happen to the terror that I just shared the morning with?

Well, regardless, I'm not sure how her day will turn out...so, although I said I would never say this when I had children of my own....

good luck to her preschool teacher!

No comments: