Thursday, November 5, 2009

My Heart Attack...thanks to Little Bit's Creativity...

I know, I've been somewhat of a blogger slacker lately...no pictures, little blogging, etc! I honestly do not even know where my camera is! Life has been crazy! Holidays hit...starting with Halloween. Then, doesn't it seem like such a big blur all the way until New Years? Whew?!

I have to take just a moment to share my latest MAMA DRAMA...or, I guess, I should say trauma! My Little Bit is just becoming such a rascal. I credit this, of course, to her father. He's been wild, busy, and a dare devil since he made his appearance into this world. Thus, it seems that our children are taking after him! I was more of the artsy, book loving, quiet busy type...not this rambunctious type! See, it has to be because of my husband!

Well, I took Little Bit to her 15 month check up yesterday, which any mama knows that doctor visits are never fun and always a sort of juggling act of trying to ask your questions, make sure you are doing everything, the 'ever-so fun' vaccinations (I'm being so sarcastic) and trying to steer your healthy ones from the sick kiddos in the office and all the germs in the building! I did end up getting Little Bit the flu shot. She has to go back in a month to get the booster...I'm still looking into that part of it! They were out of LaLa's age group flu shot. Did you know they came in age groups? Shouldn't they come by weight...not age?

Anyway, the doctor mentioned that my Little Bit was very busy and a bit of a dare devil and an attention seeker...well, yeah, you can say I've noticed. She pulled out all of her tricks for the doctor. She climbed up on a chair by herself. Then, she proceeded to try to stand and jump off...she has no fear! Then, she reached for the doctor, pointed out his nose, eyes, etc. I didn't know she could do this because when I try to get her to do anything beyond nose, she looks at me clueless despite my multiple attempts!

Finally, we all make it home after a very busy day of preschool, doctor visits, multiple stores searching for special pajamas for LaLa's preschool class' program, baby gym, lunch, and the grocery store...and one quick random stop for LaLa's emergency bathroom trip on the way home. I put Little Bit down for a nap...I collapse at the desk and try to get some work done. Suddenly, I hear a THUD. A THUD where your heart stops because you know it's a bad thud. I immediately see LaLa so knowing she was not the THUD, I run upstairs practically flying all the way. I open Little Bit's door to see her face down sprawled out on the FLOOR! She is squalling and just laying there. I scoop her up, and she immediately stops crying and says "boo boo". This means she had to climb out of her crib and propel herself across the room. She's 15 months old!?! I quickly checked every part of her body, which seemed to be just fine. Then, I checked her crib to see if she had manipulated something to climb with. There was a little baby doll and a lovey...nothing to give her enough lift to climb with!

I ran to call the doctor, which somewhat calmed me down. What do you watch for in case of a possible cocussion when your one year old jumps out of their crib? Just so you know....you watch for pupils changing in light and dark rooms (good), you watch for one pupil being a different size than the other (bad), vomiting (bad), walking wobbly or falling again (Little Bit does this all the time?! I told the dr. she had walked into the wall and fallen again since the crib incident...this is just the way she is!?). Then, we had to wake her up every two hours to ensure there was not a concussion. This is rather a big fall for a one year old. We could not figure it out...how did she get herself out of the crib? Needless to say, I barely slept out of worry she would do it again or would have some sort of concussion.

I was on lookout all day throughout her naps. When she woke up from her afternoon nap, I was in her room putting up laundry before I got her out of the crib. She was babbling and talking. She threw out her "baby" and said "bye bye baby". Then, she proceeded to push her body up until her chest was teetering on the rail, feet not touching the mattress. It looked like some gymnast thing because the rail usually comes to her nose! Then, she grabbed the sleigh part of the side of the crib while she was pulled one leg over the crib slats using her toes curled around it until she got it lodged over the side. I was stunned! Is she part monkey? I said NO NO and grabbed her before she did a repeat of the day before...you would think she would learn?! I said, "You are going to give a heart attack before I reach thirty!" She looked at me, smiled with her big dimples on both sides, and said, "NO NO HEART ATTACK." Does that count as her first sentence? I think it's going to be her mission statement for the rest of her life! Now, if only, I survive it!

My husband and I have rigged up the mattress to be lower than before. It was on its lowest setting, but we managed to fix it...creatively...where it is even lower. Now, the rail comes to the top of her head. Give her a month and she'll probably figure that one out! I guess I should start researching those dome net things that go over a cribs. I vaguley remember making fun of those BC (before children) when I had seen them in a magazine. I guess that serves me right!

Mama Drama Rule #68: When you become a mama, they should hand you a bottle of hair color and heart medicine. Your children will innocently bring out your gray early and encourage heart attacks prematurely...

No comments: