Monday, November 30, 2009

I Want to Be a Princess...



Okay, so this is my random post for today. I have to say it was thought provoking for me as my three year old innocently made this comment over the weekend. First is my disclaimer: I know that this is often a sensitive issue so please take it as a child's completely innocent thought and a comment that should create inspiration or be a thought provoking statement to anybody...of any background.

We had family over most of the last week for the holidays. You know how it is...where you have to recover after having company and a holiday. Kids have been off schedule, excitement has been brewing, house is in disarray, and so on, but the memories always outweigh the chaos. As we were recovering from all of this holiday fun, I am so glad that I didn't miss this particular comment LaLa made. Have you heard of the new princess movie that is coming out in December? I believe it is the Princess Frog. We really enjoy Disney, the movies, and...well, everything else...especially with two princess-obsessed girls...and my husband-the Disney fanatic of them all! We have really been anticipating this movie coming out.

Well, the commercial for the movie came on the television. LaLa looked up at me and said, "Mama, I don't have that princess dress. I want to dress up like Tiana." I said, "No, we don't have that one. Maybe that can be something you ask Santa for." LaLa responds, "Yeah, mama, that's a great idea. I just need her beautiful dress, put my hair up, and hey, mama, can you paint my face brown like that?" Now, this response caused me to pause a minute. First of all, I didn't realize what she was talking about at first. Then, I realized how innocent children are to issues such as race. I wish adults could be that innocent as well. After that, I wasn't sure how to answer. I can just see her wanting me to paint her face brown, dress up like the beautiful princess, Tiana, and insist on wearing her costume on an outing. Honestly, I wouldn't mind doing it because I know it is just part of her imagination. However, can you imagine? She would definitely cause quite a commotion.

However, ultimately, it made me realize that lots of little girls from other races have probably felt the same way. I guess that little statement from LaLa made me realize that children are innocent and sincere. All they know is they want to be a princess...white, yellow, red, or black. If the princess is different from the way you look, they innocently want to be different to look like a "princess"...or the way the princess is portrayed.

So, first, I applaud Disney (although I wish it was done a long time ago) on varying their princesses to look like all the different little girls of the world that desire to be a princess. Princesses aren't just one color...and it has to be hard for little girls that mostly see princesses as one color. More importantly, I also encourage all mamas to really encourage their little princesses to know that it's what is on the inside that makes a true princess.

I remind my girls...Christ is our Heavenly Father and King of Kings...that makes us all princesses...don't let anyone ever tell you anything different!

Mama Drama Rule #79: Your kids will often teach you more than you teach them in life! I know my kids do!

2 comments:

Mad in Crafts said...

Aren't kids great? When I was little my best friend was African-American. She came over to play while my grandparents were visiting from out of state. After she went home, I told them, "She's black, you know." Because she had once told me she was black, and apparently I thought my grandparents wouldn't know that unless I told them like she had told me. :D

Bethany said...

I LOVE this post! I think I have become more sensitive to the 'race' issue since bringing Caroline home. I actually had one lady the other day ask me "What is she?" Can you believe that? I just stared at her and then responded "She's a girl..." :)