Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Reason for the Season!


Time to begin the 25 day countdown until Christmas! As we begin, let's remember the reason of the season!



I found this wonderful ornament at...you'll never guess it...the dollar tree! This little ornament met all of our family's criteria:

1st: It has my favorite color theme for the holiday season...the traditional red and green.
2nd: It is not breakable, which is very important in our household of little ones!
3rd: It sends a message that I wants my kids to know.

I bought several of these for ornament exchanges and hostess gifts for upcoming holiday events! I have cute boxes for them to go in...also a dollar store find! Add some pretty tissue paper...maybe a yummy treat, a note...and, voila! a sweet gift with an unforgettable message! I'm not sure if the designer of this ornament meant for the "BELIEVE" to insinuate believe in Santa or believe in Christ's birth.
For us, though, it's a great opportunity to talk about the true meaning of Christmas!
The teacher in me is always looking for a teachable moment when it comes to my kids!

"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

(The Christmas Story can be found in Luke 2:1-14)

Mama Drama Rule #80: Create traditions that teach the deeper meanings of why we celebrate our holidays!Children learn more...when they don't realize they are learning! I knew that applied in the classroom, but I am learning that it also applies to my family and in my home!

No comments: