Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A High Flying Movie Night!

(This post didn't show up on Sunday for some reason! oops!)

For Friday night movie night, we enjoyed Disney's movie Up! that just came out last week. I loved it! Now, my husband is more of a fan of the traditional princess/prince kind of Disney movies. Remember, he is the Disney fanatic...the one that wants to be cremated and placed in the It's a Small World when he dies and the one that chose to go there for his thirtieth birthday! He's special! I loved the movie though! It held my girls' attention pretty well. I missed a small portion of the movie because I had a phone call, but LaLa was actually able to update me on everything I had missed! It has an actual message in the movie aside from the traditional happily ever after ones! The movie teaches priorities, friendship, respect for elderly, etc. A great sense of adventure is just contagious once you watch the movie. My LaLa and Little Bit played like they were "adventurers" all weekend!

The girls would both have on a backpack and tell me they were off on an adventure! Imaginations can really go wild with this little movie! For the movie night, we added a few special touches! We made a pizza together as has become a fun tradition. We also made yummy cupcakes to be our cluster of balloons! It was a great way to add in a color mixing lesson! Honestly, they were more interested in tasting the icing than catching on to the little teachable moment! However, LaLa and I were doing a craft over the weekend that involved paint, and she asked, "Mommy, are we going to mix colors to make a new color?" See, you never know when they are actually listening to you!

The best part of the night that really got us all in the adventure spirit was the balloons! While the girls were napping, my mom dropped off clusters of balloons in various colors! They loved the balloons! I was able to get so many things accomplished because they were completely amused with playing with all of the balloons! I'm learning the longer that I become a mama that the littlest things become the most important things to children. Fifteen dollars for a few dozen balloons made my little ones so happy and so amused! I think it was the surprise factor that was involved and the number of balloons...even I had to smile when I looked at all the balloons all over the house!

Now, in the movie, the house floats away with zillions of balloons attached to it! The goal is to get to paradise lost. My husband jokingly said to LaLa that maybe we should attach all of our balloons and make our house float away. Just so you know, three year olds do not think this is funny! They are very literal, and she was very concerned about our house floating away after that! My husband, after discovering this unbelievably hilarious, continued to joke with LaLa. He said maybe we could attach balloons to Little Bit, and she would float away. From then on out, LaLa would only let Little Bit hold a few balloons at a time out of concern that she was going to fly away! At least she loves her sister! I would have probably tried out the concept on my little brother when we were kids...just to see if he would really float away!

We had to experiment the next day to see what the balloons could really lift! LaLa felt better about the balloons when she realized that it would take a lot more balloons than we had to make anyone or anything actually float away! ooooh! Another teachable moment...they just pop up everywhere when we're looking!



Mama Drama Rule #72: Kids get excited when the adults are excited! Excitement is contagious!

No comments: