Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Can I just hide in a closet and take a quick nap? Do you think my kids would notice?

Our newest drama is sleeping. Yes, sleeping. I've always been a napper and a late owl. I am most productive late at night, but I would always take a good nap the next day. Well, kids obviously throw a wrench in this theory! My kids have never, ever been good sleepers. I have all of the books on children sleeping. I've actually read them, highlighted parts, and implemented them. Let me just tell you....It doesn't work on my kids. Something will work for a little while. Then, just when I start becoming human again after gaining much-needed sleep, they start waking up again. I remember time after time sitting in a restaurant or church admiring a sweet little baby. Their parents would comment on how their baby is sleeping 8-10 hours a night already. I smile, but I am really yelling at them profusely in my head. If your baby sleeps, don't tell a sleep-deprived mama!

I remember before children (BC) not being concerned with the lack of sleep that children caused. I would come home from teaching and take a nap. I remember hearing other coworkers complain, but I never truly understood their need for sleep! I thought my husband and I would alternate on taking care of the kids so we could both sleep. What was I thinking? My husband suddenly became capable of sleeping through a tornado when we had our first daughter. I thought, I will just hire a nanny or a sitter to take care of them during the day so I can rest. Again, what was I thinking? Did I win the lottery? I was one of those that had never been around babies or small children (younger than school age). I, seriously, had no idea. I guess that is why I have learned so much as a mama!

I became very scared when I realized that life with children was so much different that what I had envisions BC. I had to learn quick and learn well. Thus, became my obsession with these books! I love school. I know, I'm a nerd. I loved getting my doctorate. It was new and exciting. Surely, someone with a doctorate, with a background in child development, can get their child to sleep. I'll just read some more books. I'll just write this author. Perhaps the author has some valuable information that they did not disclose in their book. Let me just tell you, my kids still do not sleep regularly. I think it's a myth that other parents tell each other just to make you jealous...and insane!

Our current sleep situation is odd, but it is working for us right now. LaLa is currently sleeping on this little pull out sofa the girls have on the floor of Little Bit's nursery. I'm serious. She has a queen size beautiful bed in her room, but she insists on sleeping in her sister's room. Getting them to sleep takes some threats, some incentives, some coddling, a lot of patience, and some time. Little Bit stands in her crib saying, "No, no, LaLa. Bye, Bye, LaLa." I think in baby language that is "Get out of my room you crazy sister! I want to go to sleep. Don't make me climb out of my crib again and kick you out." Eventually, though, they both go to sleep. Once they are asleep, they are staying asleep until the morning.

At that blissful moment, when I know both girls are asleep, I take the biggest sigh. I might even do a giddy dance around the house...or maybe just in my head because at this point I am usually too tired to do anything! I just want to know what happen to my BC dreams of rocking a sweet child to sleep, singing a lullaby, and waking them up sweetly the next morning after 8-10 hours of sleep??

Mama Drama Rule #73: Ignorance can be bliss...until reality hits!

No comments: