Friday, November 13, 2009

Planning Thanksgiving Activities for Little Ones!


Are you getting ready for Thanksgiving Dinner and Parties for your family? We are also hosting Thanksgiving at our house so we are trying to think of some creative ideas to keep the little ones busy and build lots of memories! Right now, we are getting ready for LaLa's Preschool Party at school. Her school seems to celebrate big, which is a great deal of fun! Here are some ideas that we are working on for the preschool party. As we work on our items over the next week, I will add pictures, but hopefully, this will give you some ideas and some inspiration if you have your own parties coming up!

We are going to enjoy a feast! Yum. I know a lot of little ones do not eat some of these traditional foods, but it gives them a variety and an opportunity to try new things! I have tried to brainstorm ideas for fun ways to present the food...maybe in a different way from what they are used to, but it seems that most people SKIP right over Thanksgiving to Christmas! The only idea that I have came up with is "turkey kabobs" and putting the veggies in mini cornucopias!

Ideas for decorating: Indian corn, leaves (cut outs and real), pumpkins, gourds, cornucopias, pine cones, turkeys (of course), corn stalks, scarecrows, etc.

The kids can dress up like pilgrims or Indians. Our little class is dressing like Indians. LaLa's teacher "tea" dyed shirts. Have you ever heard of that? I had in my head "tie dyed" shirts, but no, it's not the same. She literally took boys undershirts (they come in a 5 pack for a few dollars) and dyed them a tan color using tea bags! We learn something every day in preschool...even this mama! Then, we are cutting the edges in fringes and threading beads on them.

Game Ideas: Turkey, turkey, stuffing (duck, duck, goose), BINGO (using Thanksgiving items and candy corn or acorns as markers), TURKEY says (I found the cutest turkey at Michael's for 6 dollars! I used my coupon and got it 50% off!), pin the wattle on the turkey,

Craft Ideas: Create a Pilgrim hat, Make an Indian headdress, build a turkey using a pumpkin, gourd, or large squash. making Indian jewrly using pasta (teaching opportunity for patterns!)

Table Setting: Make Placemats using kids' handprint as a turkey, make napkin rings,

Fun "Gift" ideas for your guests or your host(ess): The dollar tree actually has cute aprons right now. They also have matching rolling pins, whisks, serving plates, etc. What a cute opportunity to make a little basket! I collected a couple aprons to put an initial on them! Plus, they have cute packages of chef gear for little ones. It includes a chef hat and small apron! If you have "little helpers" on Thanksgiving, what a great, inexpensive way to make them feel special! I love the idea of my girls helping me in the kitchen creating dinner for our family, friends, and extended family; then, years and years later when they have their own families, I would love to continue that tradition! Of course, there is a great deal to do when preparing thanksgiving dinner (I usually cook 2-3 turkeys). Even the most creative mama can only get so much accomplished in the kitchen with two little girls! I plan on having some "special" crafts to keep them busy when I need my space in the kitchen. I am sure that the extra family and company will also keep them very busy!

Mama Drama Rule #72: A thankful heart and thankful actions are more important than thankful words!

Check back this weekend for our Movie Night REVIEW! The movie UP! came out this week on dvd! Our fun and our night was two thumps UP!

No comments: