Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gobble, gobble...and a good deal!

Hmmm...You know how you are just perusing around and think...oooh, that's a good deal. I'm SURE I need this because I can do something just wonderful and crafty with it. I think the teacher and the mama in me is just drawn to items like that. Hence, that is why I had my husband haggle a deal and purchase over thirty of these squash/gourd thingies from the state farmer's market.

I am definitely NOT a haggler! They say twenty and I say okay...however, my husband will stand there and haggle until they just get tired of him! It works out for me though! He managed to get my box of over thirty for only eleven dollars! They were all colors and shapes. I used them to decorate around my house and out on my back porch for a fun fall feel! However, I was still left with quite a bit of these things. Actually, some started going bad! I HAD to think of SOMETHING for these wonderful items! Finally, I thought I would take full advantage and suggest these for a fun craft for LaLa's preschool party. Now, just to find a project to go along with them!

Then, I FOUND the perfect idea!


Isn't he a cute turkey? LaLa made this one, and it will be just PERFECT for our centerpiece this Thanksgiving! Little Bit looks at it and says, "apple"...no, not quite. Then, she'll say "gobble, gobble." Poor thing she seems quite confused!


Where to start to make your own little turkey? Well, the "directions" actually suggest a pumpkin, but I had to use up these things! LaLa and I chose fun fall colors that we wanted to use and printed the templates off. LaLa had one to cut. My mom cut the rest of them! (She's pretty handy with that detail stuff!) Next, I used toothpicks that I had in the pantry. I just taped them to the back of each piece-the head and the feathers. I figured out that it worked better if I made the hole with a toothpick, and then LaLa inserted in the actual toothpick attached to the feather. We also added these cute, FUN googly eyes to the turkey. My daughter loves to say GOOGLY. Last, we attached the turkey's wings on the squash/gourd thing! We just used Elmer's glue...and it worked just fine. I attached tape on it to hold it while it dried. We sorted the pieces needed for the craft in separate baggies so the kids can just take a bag and work on their turkey!

I think it would be cute if each of our Thanksgiving guests write something they're thankful for on a plain feather. We could add it to the turkey for the meal. Later, we can take it off the turkey and add it to our family's scrapbook for memories of our many blessings this year!

Hmmm...I still have a lot of these things left! Now, off to plan more ways to use them!

Mama Drama #74: Be full of thanks EVERY day...not just on turkey day!

No comments: