Monday, November 23, 2009

Create Cornucopias...


While searching the web, I had a difficult time finding cute stuff for thanksgiving theme. I couldn't believe that thanksgiving had fewer ideas surrounding fun food ideas than halloween and Christmas! Most of thanksgiving involves...food! I did come across one idea of using a sugar cone for mini cornucopias. I'm sad to say that my final pictures didn't come out! Note to self: make sure to push the camera card all the way into the slot before taking pictures! It was super easy...once I figured it out! So, let me save you some trouble and share what I was doing wrong!
This is the link where I started with my ideas. I wrapped some tan raffia around these and put veggies in them for LaLa's preschool feast. I plan on using them as place cards for our family's thanksgiving dinner. I will use the raffia again and write names on them with icing. Someone suggested placing runts candy inside of them! I'm a big fan of runts...so I think I may try that route, if I don't eat all the goodies before family gets to see the end result!

First, you need to steam the sugar cones. Now, in the instructions that I found online, it said to hold the cone over boiling water to let the steam do its magic. Let me point out that I tried that...and it resulted in much frustration. Avoid that! Use a steamer basket above your pot of boiling water. I cheated. My steamer basket was in the dishwasher...I simply used a colander and placed it over my boiling water. Let the sugar cone sit in the basket for several minutes until the cone becomes soft...not gooey. Soft and gooey are great technical terms! You'll know what I mean though!

Next, carefully tilt the end of the sugar cone up to look like a cornucopia. Make sure to sit the soft cones on wax paper or somewhere where they will not stick to the surface. They will harden quickly.

This is where I would add my wonderful final picture...if I had it! You could add all kinds of yummy items inside. It would be cute for a kid's table this thanksgiving too. My Little Bit and LaLa enjoyed eating the two that I broke before I realized that the steamer basket made the BIG difference! The raffia looked really cute too! Also, just so you know...the cones will be very hot when you are bending the ends. My kids just stood there giving me funny looks as I was manipulating these hot cones! At least it was entertaining to them!

Mama Drama Rule #76: Saying THANKS is so simple...yet so often forgotten! Remember to say thanks...especially to those that do so much and so often get forgotten!

No comments: