Sunday, October 11, 2009

Warning: Objects May Appear Closer Than They Really Are...now explain that to a 3 year old...


We recently went to see Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3D. It was quite an experience! First, let me explain that my husband is quite odd. He enjoys anything and everything Disney...well, honestly, more than any child out there. I had to redirect his attention several times throughout this 3D movie experience back to amusing two youngsters, helping with glasses, running to the potty, and answering questions. He would be totally zoned into the screen, oblivious to anything going on around him, and just sitting there with a quirky smirk and eyes focused with his 3D glasses. So, I knew this going into the movie that he would be...less than helpful because of his crazy endearment for Disney.

It was a lot of fun experiencing this with the girls, but it was very long! It's both movies! We only made it through one...and maybe a half of the second. LaLa sat there asking dozens of questions and mesmerized at the 3D effect.

"No, LaLa, they will not come out to get you." "Yes, LaLa, it is pretend." "It's the glasses that make them look like that." "If it looks fuzzy, put your glasses back on." "LaLa, you have to sit, listen, and watch so you don't miss the movie." No, LaLa, I can't rewind the movie."
Little Bit and I spent half the time in the theatre and half of the time walking in the lobby. LaLa is quite a fan of Jesse...the cowgirl in the movie. Hence, when she woke up, she insisted that she wear her cowgirl attire. We got quite a few looks from other movie goers, but my little one was convinced that on this day she was Jesse, Woody's cowgirl friend! We even had to refer to her as "Jesse" when she had her cowgirl hat on. Whenever she would take it off, she would say, "It's okay. You can call me LaLa now." Well, thanks, Miss LaLa, for keeping us straight!:)

Don't you wish you could do that? Oh, today, I think I'm going to be Sandra Bullock or maybe Jennifer Lopez or Julia Roberts. Oh, no, don't call me Tammy...I'm Julia today. Now, where is my maid and my nanny? Can someone send my assistant out to get me a white mocha decaf with no whip from Starbucks? It's fun to think about it, isn't it? Oh, to be in the world of a three year old?!

As I was sitting there considering how I would be spending my afternoon as Julia, I was looking up at the screen thinking...what is so awesome about this 3D stuff? It just looks fuzzy and darker. I looked over at my husband...yep, he thinks it's awesome. I look at Little Bit. She's trying to decide if this over-stimulation of a massive screen and surround sound is something she is going to like or cry about. I look up at the theatre...kids are reaching at the objects that are supposedly popping out and adults are laughing. Are my glasses broken? I hand them over to my husband to clean them...still no luck. Okay, I 'm thinking this is going to drive me crazy for two movies.

Then, I notice, as I'm cleaning the glasses AGAIN, that my glasses look a little different from LaLa's and my husbands. Come to find out...my husband had packed an extra pair of just "regular" old sunglasses that Little Bit could wear in lieu of the real 3D glasses to keep her amused. Yep, this is what I had been wearing for thirty minutes...wondering what in the world was so wonderful about this 3D experience! So, once I changed into the real 3D glasses, I really did enjoy the movie...until about five minutes later when Little Bit opted for her plan B of crying at the over-stimulation! Oh, the joys of mama drama!

...By the way, they want you to turn in your glasses after the movie! Small children do not understand this concept! Poor LaLa thought that she could wear these outside and still get the 3D experience. Well, in her mind, she did think it worked, and those darn regular sunglasses came in handy when we had to return the real glasses!

Mama Drama Rule #54: Live it up when it's peaceful...don't waste it on cleaning and doing your to do list! Enjoy it and immerse yourself in it...it may only be a fleeting moment!

No comments: