Monday, October 12, 2009

Where Has the Time Gone?

My mama drama for today is the overwhelming job of changing closets out for seasons and for sizes! Who would think that this simple, yet HUGE, chore would be a complete and total emotional one? Well, it certainly is for me!

Yes, it is October, and I am just now clearing out the closets. My excuse is the crazy weather down here in the South. We have still had some absolutely beautiful, summer like days...even in October! It's hard to know what to expect from the weather. Thus, I continued to give myself the excuse of putting off this dreaded task.

Then, I begun going through Little Bit's closet and taking out everything that doesn't fit and all of her summer clothes. I am still in the phase of boxing everything up....either for my friend, Pepper, to peruse through later for her little one or for a potential future baby of our own. Then, I think...oh, wow, three girls...oh, the high maintenance of it all-the weddings, the school, the colleges, the prom dresses, the drama!

As I am clearing out Little Bit's closets and drawers, my kids are running around like wild animals. What I put in the tubs...they take out. What I fold...they unfold. Well, you get the idea. Yet, I still am feeling near tears as I fold up each and every piece of baby clothing from Little Bit. We are entering into 18 month sizes...not even a baby anymore. All these little shorts and tops, the little jammies...I fold each one and can remember her (and even LaLa in some of the ones that were handed down!) wearing them.

It's not that you don't want them to grow up. They bring so much joy and excitement with each day and milestone that passes, but it is so sad to feel like time is going faster than you can keep up with. The feeling that you have blinked and missed so much. The feeling that it's gone by so fast that you didn't get to cherish it like you should have. That your babies are growing up faster than you can grasp onto.

Yes, I am being completely sappy over just folding some outgrown clothes. Then, I look over to my loud little monkeys...LaLa and Little Bit are pushing baby doll strollers as hard as they can into each other, they have manipulated one of the under the bed tubs that I emptied as a catapult for the dolls...and eventually LaLa tries out on Little Bit, LaLa tries to sit in her baby doll stroller so Little Bit can push her, and Little Bit has an open (washable, non-toxic) marker in her mouth-which I hide markers in our house like a squirrel with a nut..so I'm not sure how this one was discovered! As I'm soothing Little Bit after she's been flipped with the tub and a couple dolls, wiping marker off her mouth, and helping LaLa get her hiney unstuck from her baby doll stroller, my reminiscent moments only lasted for a few seconds. However, my heart was still tugged as I worked on this task even as my mind was telling my heart that I am completely crazy...I'm blessed I've survived this long with my two little ones!

Mama Drama Rule #55: Cherish each and every moment that you have with your children...grasp to every moment and keep your memories like small treasures. For me, I know the future holds as many wonderful memories as the past has when they were sweet babies...maybe this little task just helped me to remember to treasure the present ones a little more!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Cute story! We changed out Caroline's closets (yes, it is plural and I probably need to be in counseling...LOL) and I got a bit weepy myself. Where does the time go????