Thursday, October 8, 2009

Just admit it...you hear voices in your head too!

Do you have five thousand million zillion (not sure that' even a number!) things running through your head that you would like to do, should do, or need to do? I think it's in a woman's nature to have these things running constantly through our minds. It's even worse for a mama. We walk through our house and trigger after trigger goes off. For me, I walk in a room, and I think I have to clean that, I need to put up the laundry on the chair, I need to change the sheets, I need to update those pictures, did I remember to schedule pictures, what will wear for the pictures....that's just walking to my closet through my bedroom.

Then, I finally get to bedroom, and I begin thinking...what am I going to wear today, is it cold, is it hot, I want to take the kids to the pumpkin patch, they would look cute in little orange monogrammed dresses, I should make those, what would they wear under it, what does LaLa need for her fall party, I need to keep working with her on writing her letters, what letter are they on this week, this pair of pants don't fit, (I'm still in my closet trying to find something to wear), I need to go through my clothes and purge, should I give away my variety of sizes (I have everything from 2 to 12 as I go back and forth between pregnant Tammy and regular Tammy), should I just keep them, should we have more kids, I'm too tired to have more kids, I need to go shopping and get some fall clothes, oh, yeah, the girls still need some dresses for cooler weather...oh, I hear someone up...what should they wear? Yeah, by this point, all this has gone through my head and I'm still not dressed.

That is what's wrong with all of us. That is why we can multi-task better than men. If a man had these same thoughts running through their heads, they would curl up in a fetal position and cry. In fact, in some ways...they do this already. It's the times that they call us or insinuate that we are nagging...we're just giving them a small impression of what we hear constantly. They can't handle it so we must go through this world on our own with our thoughts running in circles!

How do we manage this chaos in our heads? Well, for me, I don't think I have an off switch. I just eventually collapse and sleep so hard that I can't hear the thoughts! A better alternative is to make a list and prioritize. What is it you HAVE to do? What is it you WANT to do? What is it you SHOULD be doing? Then, make goals and deadlines for each ones...go ahead and make them cushy deadlines. Publish and Post them so everyone knows what you are working toward! It makes you accountable if you publish and post them in your house! Plus, when you divide all these thoughts into these three columns, it makes you realize what really has to be done. If we let the thoughts continuously circle in our heads, we rarely get anything done and still find ourselves completely exhausted and frustrated at the end of the day!

My list changes constantly because what was a priority last week may change. Do I have to clean out my closet? No, I can live with it...despite my husband's complaints. Should I clean it out? Yes, it would probably save me time and sanity in the long run. So, I'll set a goal and a deadline to get it done! Even if you don't plan on using your prioritized list, it's a great form of release. It's like taking charge of all those thoughts in your head that you just can't ever master! Keep working at it...and accept that it's part of being a woman...and becomes even worse as a mama...then, you have your own thoughts, as well as the thoughts of your kids' well being and needs running through your brain!

Mama Drama Rule #53: All those thoughts that run through our head constantly telling us everything we should be doing, need to be doing, and really want to do in our lives is often like clutter in our homes. It can take over and take control of us. It can squelch our spirits and our joy. So, take charge...or as a last resort...just admit you hear voices in your head and maybe somebody can help out! I haven't tried that one yet, but I haven't ruled it out...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Oh, the voices....Unfortunately, I even hear them in my sleep! I have been on a mad search for those boots (which are coming from New Jersey) that that is all I could focus on! But, as I was obsessing over the boots in bed, I decided I needed another outfit made to go with those boots. So, the next day, I headed back to the fabric store to just get those voices out of my head....did that help??? NO! Now I need another top to go with those pants to go with those boots...YIKES!!! Make them stop! LOL!

The lists works well for me too, but I have not mastered the art of lists yet. I tend to have to make a list for my lists...Yep, I'm that kind of girl!