Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Friend's Strength

Hi, everyone! I'm lacking blogging ability today! I have a dear, wonderful friend that just found out recently that she has thyroid cancer. Many of you know that I have faced this awful battle of cancer with my dad over the last couple years and had a scare myself last year. I know the feeling of complete inadequacy and lack of control that this disease gives you. It's hard not knowing what to do and what is going to happen next. We're so used to quick answers and results, and this disease takes all those options away. It's like a wait and see game that tortures your very being because it is so scary and intimidating to just say the word cancer. It seems that cancer has touched everybody in some way.

My friend is 29 years old with two little girls the same age as my little ones. Our families are very close. She is the type of friend that always has an encouraging word and strength to share. She is like support beams for me in my life. I know a visit with her or a quick phone call will lift me up no matter what. I'm blessed to have her, her husband, and her sweet little angels in our lives. She is having surgery tomorrow (actually by my dad's wonderful doctor that did his past surgeries) at 7 am. She will have her thyroid, the mass, and some lymph nodes removed. Her future recovery will involve treatment, medication, and diet changes. Please keep her and her family in your prayers as they go through this scary and transitional time. She is an independent, tough girl and just leaning on others for help and support will be as difficult for her as this upcoming surgery.

I'm writing about this tonight because of so many reasons. First, it's all I'm thinking about right now. Second, my heart is focused in constant prayer. Third, it shows how quick life can change. Fourth and most important, it shows me that we have no control, and we can't rely on ourselves to go through this life. We have to take hold of God's promises to accept Him, live for Him, and ultimately trust and rely on Him.

Just think, here was my friend focused on what her girls are going to be for halloween, starting preschool with her three year old, planning her upcoming birthday, and enjoying the end of the summer when she finds out that she has a large mass in her throat. Then, she finds out it's a solid malignant mass. Wow, how our focuses change when life changes course! Now, she's planning for surgery, childcare, and upcoming recovery and treatment. She is the ultimate example of trusting and using complete faith in God for the strength to face each and every day. I know that God's arms will carry her through each and every battle in this war she is about to begin...

Mama Drama Rule #55: Let Go and Let God have control!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I will be in prayer for your friend and her family tomorrow.