Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm a Coupon Class Graduate

Well, it finally happen. I met and learned from the "coupon lady". It was a wet, rainy day down here, yet I was so giddy. You know how you get this image in your head of someone...but you've never ever met them before? Well, that is the way it was. I can assure you that she did not disappoint me! I walked in, and I wanted to shake her hand and say, "Wow, so nice to meet you...a legend!"

It's funny how many people around here seriously know her as the coupon lady. I spent several hours at her house on Saturday with several of my wonderful, money-saving friends and some new friends that I had the opportunity to get to know. The coupon lady is an animated red head with a full personality and love for life. She opened up her home...her food (she is also a chef...yummy) and her wonderful world of coupons to us. I left there with a large goody bag of items that she had collected at Publix...and let me emphasize even got overage on the items(paid back for buying!). She sent us home with handfuls of inserts and coupons, a wonderful notebook of store policies and extra information, the lingo of the coupon world, and so much more that my brain still hasn't even processed!

I came home...quite excited and quite exhausted. Finally, I put the children to bed and my hubby went to my brother's house to watch some football, and I was left to explore the world of couponing! I spent hours on the computer and going through my class information. So, the next day, I was ready to really, really try it out. First, we went to church. Now, everyone knows you are hungry when you leave church...and I didn't factor this in. Next, let me explain that I did have my husband and two little girls...at lunch time...at the grocery store. Needless to say, I didn't do as well as I hoped to, but I did pretty good. I spent 42ish dollars & saved 58 dollars, according to the receipt. Just some of the stuff that I purchased was a couple bags of charcoal, 12 dollars of pork (I did get this free), 2 bbq sauces (free), 2 boxes of wheat thins, 2 boxes of granola bars, 2 glass cleaners, 2 johnson soaps, bread, bananas, boars head turkey, 2.5 lb. turkey, organic milk, 2 newspapers, head of lettuce, betty crocker fruit snacks, etc.

Now, I know most people would be so pumped with my savings, but you haven't met the coupon lady. I just wish someone in the world would post...use this coupon and buy this item...you mine as well buy lots because it's a great price or better yet, it's free. I so want to master the free stuff. I also want someone to lay out...step one do this...step two do this...when you are making a list and couponing. I know it can be done thanks to my couponing friends! I have had several of my friends that went to the class call me in the last two days so excited about their savings! I'm so pumped and proud of them! Keep it up and we'll share the goodies that we find!

The coupon lady is amazing. She gave us the tools and the foundation. Then, she sent us to build the rest. She was so generous with her knowledge and her stuff! She showed me so many possibilities...that I think I have to be disappointed with anything not up to her level! I'm working toward it though! I've realized that it does take time, but saving money is definitely worth investing some time.

I'm just trying to remember...you've got to crawl before you walk...walk before you run...shouldn't I know this as a mama?!

Mama Drama Rule #42: Anything that is worth doing is going to take time and effort!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Yay!!! Isn't it amazing that TONS of people only know her as the "coupon lady"? One day, I spent less than $2.00 and saved almost $100, the bagger boy said I did good but there's one lady that can do better! :) I loved it because I knew who he was referring to. ;)

It does take time to build a stockpile and get the hang of the coupons. I am still getting the hang of it and in no way have I mastered it, yet. I think that I am in the 'walking fast' stage, but Lee is totally in the sprinting stage!! It also takes time to build a supply of coupons. I have found it best to make sure that I have at least 6 inserts. If you are ever in need of extra coupons, please let me know as I probably have them.

Also, when there is another big Overage item, I'll take you into the city and we'll go on a shopping spree!!! Lots of fun!!!

Kt said...

Sounds like you did pretty well. I am impressed with your savings!
My sister does grocerygame.com. I think you have to pay a monthly fee but you get to put in which stores you use and it gives you a list of what you can get for free, really good price, etc. And it tells you which coupon to buy. It may make it a bit simpler. She LOVES it.
:)

Tammy said...

Bethany, I would love to go on a shopping spree with you...and take notes! You're getting right up there with the coupon lady. I talked (Bragged) on you today in my lil' girls' ballet class and someone totally knew who I was talking about without me saying your name!

Katie-ooohhh, I will have to check that out. I just read something on that site in a redbook magazine at the dr. office so I'm glad you mentioned it...I had forgotten about it! I definitely need it more simpler...at least in the beginning! I'm off to explore it now!