Monday, September 7, 2009

Honoring a Mama's TRUE Labor Day

I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. I think we mamas should join together and make Labor Day REALLY about LABOR. Have you ever heard women tell their “labor” stories? I am sure you have or you, as I, have actively participated in the discussion. Oh, the poor pregnant person that innocently asks a veteran mama what they can expect. Mamas from all over will quickly begin telling their labor story minute by minute to the wide-eyed newbie. I remember being so terrified. When I was pregnant, I actually remember several parents of students that I was teaching telling me their labor stories. One had a ten pound baby (which terrified me because my husband was born a little over ten pounds according to his mama). She convincingly explained to me that she physically felt the baby’s head for days before he joined the world. Oh, buddy, did I have some vivid nightmares!

That’s what Labor Day should be about! Feature labor stories, reflect and remember what mamas go through to bring these wonderful little beings in the world. We should have parades honoring all mamas that have labored physically through a birth or emotionally through adoption…labor is labor. We could have t-shirts made with our “war stories”. “I labored 26 hours and had a 8 pound baby.” “I labored 6 hours, pushed for 1 and still had to have my stomach ripped open by a c-section.” “I was on bed rest for three months and had healthy twins.” “I longed for a baby for 2 years and then waited 28 months before my adoption went through.” See, you are starting to love the idea. It’s a sign of honor…just like veterans where memorabilia from the wars they fought in. We’d walk around each other reading our shirts and giving high fives. Since we are creating this Labor Day, we mine as well add gifts into the mixed. Mother’s day is to honor mothers for all they do and all they mean to us. Labor Day is strictly to focus on what you accomplished to make a family. I am going to try to slide this one in on my husband and see what he thinks about it. If you are a male reading this, let me just tell you what kind of bonus points you could get with any mama with this concept…a card, flowers, or a small gift with this idea…and you would be overwhelmed with the points you would rack up! Feel free to take the credit and reap the reward!

Well, even if we can’t convince America or the world that we are focusing on the wrong thing on the “official” labor day…rather than the ACTUAL labor that mamas’ everywhere have endured, we can hug our babies, no matter how big or old they are, and pat ourselves on the back & give a fellow laborer a high five because it was truly worth the labor.

Happy Labor Day to all of you mamas.

Mama Drama Rule #34: Labor is unexplainable despite how we try to explain it. It is the worst pain, unbelievable miracle, and trauma to one’s body, yet it is often quickly forgotten once that baby is placed in your arms. The reward definitely outweighs the effort. This is what all soon-to-be mamas need to hear more than our labor stories.

I have had internet and blogging withdrawals while being away at the beach. I have to pass on the story of how our drive went down to Florida. It is something out of one of those old comedies…my husband compared it to a Chevy Chase vacation movie. I wondered at times if I was on Candid Camera, and I know that God definitely has a sense of humor because the experience was hilarious and ridiculous all at the same time. I’ll share it tomorrow, but be prepared to laugh and just shake your head in disbelief.

No comments: