Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oh, the Joys of Car Trips with Kids! Part 1


I’m warning you this is long…and I am not making it up…

Part 1
I have to be honest and say I didn’t even share a couple of these slipups with family that drove down to the beach with us because it was just so ridiculous. We decided to enjoy our long weekend and take my husband’s parents down to Sandestin with the kids. It would be a quick weekend, but we would have two full days to enjoy the beach and relish in the end of the summer weather. We loaded the car, ate dinner before we left to save on time, and packed in the kids. I had each girl a backpack with car toys to keep them occupied. Each one also had a lunchbox with snacks. Also, they had small televisions to watch, which is an extra special treat…and would hopefully keep them occupied. I even went on to secretly wish that they would spend the majority of the trip sleeping since we left at seven. Now, we live minutes from Atlanta, and this weekend was a big weekend that most Georgians just live for…race weekend. The traffic was ridiculous. It took us two and a half hours to go 60 miles on I-85….just pain-staking barely moving traffic. So, now we are just a short 60 miles from our home…the girls are still awake because we were stopping and going so much. The lull of the car movement, which was not happening due to the traffic, was what I was hoping for to nod them both off to dreamland.

My husband abruptly turns off the braves’ game, mutters a word I will pretend like I didn’t hear, and exclaims that he forgot the key…the key to the condo. Now, we have been in the car with his parents, the two children for over two hours…have barely made any progress…traffic is horrible going both directions…and he realizes that neither one of us remembered the key. Hmmm…what to do now? Our only option is to turn around and head the other direction facing traffic again going back toward home. I call my dad to see if he happens to have an extra key SOMEWHERE anywhere at the condo. The head maintenance does, but we will be arriving after midnight…if we are lucky the way things are going. Of course, maintenance will not be there. We are out of luck. About half an hour later, he calls and says he has talked security into TRYING to see if they can get into maintenance for the key. It’s a fifty fifty shot. Well, we’ve gone about 6 miles in forty minutes so we opt to take the gamble. We get off and head BACK the other direction. Off we head for our condo…without a key. All we are armed with is the head of security’s name and number.

We continue to drive and traffic opens up a bit. We have a stop to stretch our legs, get a snack, and encourage the girls to rest. It’s about 11 pm. My Little Bit is walking around the store looking at everything. I didn’t want to carry her so she could get some energy out too. She bends down looks under a display and picks up a ‘woman hygiene’ item…seriously. It was wrapped in its packaging, but I’m still horrified that she randomly finds something…how in the world I don’t know…and is touching it. I quickly germ x her hands and pick her up. We go potty, rack up on snacks, and get ready to load back up. We found some random little kittens, and of course, LaLa and I had to feed them half of our snacks before we got in the truck... Finally, as you know, a stop with two little ones takes thirty minutes. We finally get in the truck. The girls fall asleep…yeah! Unfortunately, we have to stop for gas. They wake up as soon as the car stops…despite how we tried to leave everything running.


Mama Drama Rule #34: Sometimes you can focus on being TOO prepared that you are actually UNprepared! The focusing takes over rather than the preparing!

There is more craziness of our car trip. I had to break it apart because it was SO long! Part 2 is tomorrow.


No comments: