Thursday, September 17, 2009

Family Organization: Central Message Center...finished!





Progress has been made! I worked on my "central message center" today! It's been a work in progress through researching and making my goodies. I decided I had to split it up because it would look too "cluttery" together, which is exactly what I'm working on fixing in my world! So, I put the family things here beside our "main exit" where our garage door is. Here we also have a hook for our bags and jackets. I included our family calendar, a clipboard with our menu on it, a clipboard with our shopping list, a cup for pens (I like certain pens for certain events on the calendar, OCD, I know!?), and a dry erase board assigned for each family member. For example, tonight, I put "take out the trash" and "please hang picture" on Robert's (hubby). Then, technically, I didn't have to ask (or nag in boy world) him, and he just knew what needed to be done...and better yet....did it! Yeah! I also put a small magnetic dry erase board on the garage door for things to remember to take when I leave...I have issues here...so hopefully this will help!

My next thing to work on is to add a bulletin board above our desk with our daily kind of stuff (who goes where) and to work on LaLa's chore chart. I'm on a hunt for a chair for our desk too...yep, our desk is "chairless"! Makes it difficult to do a lot of productive stuff, but I guess it helps you lose weight and get fit while you are on working because you have no choice but to stand!

Let me just tell you what I learned through this little project! I have perfectionist issues...seriously. I can hear the people that know me going...um...yeah, did you not know this?! But, hear me out. My perfectionism gets me in more trouble than anything else most of the time. I always thought this as a great aspect of my personality or at least a quirky part of what made Tammy special! Did I mention that Tammy means PERFECTION. See, my parents destined me for this obsession long before I had control of it...or that's a good excuse anyway.

As I was researching all of this clutter control and organization on the websites that I listed yesterday, I read, in almost all of them, that a great hindrance in getting and staying organized is becoming sidetracked or distracted. For me, I get sidetracked or distracted because of my kids (of course), my trying to be too much of a perfectionist, and by being crafty (yes, it can be a negative aspect too!).

I missed the focus of the project...to give my family a central location for information...to alleviate my brain holding or forgetting all things in our world. Instead, I spent valuable time spray painting a clipboard, covering one clipboard with cute scrapbook paper, painting a bulletin board for over the desk, punching out cute letters and gluing them on magnets, and researching...boy, time flies on the computer, huh?! Did you notice the cute ribbon that I embroidered for the pen cup? So cute...see you can use embroidery anywhere and everywhere, but...once again, my craftiness took over the focus! Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day...so I guess I will have to be a work in process just like my goal to organize and be more efficient! Ultimately, I'm happy with my project, but I need to learn to release my need to be perfect and focus on how it affects my family!


Mama Drama Rule #40: No mama can be perfect...make this your mantra...and just do your best and keep your focus on what's important!

POSTS Coming Soon:

**I lost my double stroller. It is now found, but yeah, I actually lost a stroller...long story...lots of drama...I think I may be losing it...fortunately, I remembered the kids...just not my stroller.

**Tidbits from the coupon class.

**Ideas of how to survive football season with little kids & your big kids. How to make everyone in the house happy and able to watch in peace!

**Okay, upcoming post is serious! I have been discussing and debating, according to your perspective, vaccinations (especially the N1H1 (swine flu) vaccine)...with lots of friends and family lately. First of all, let me state, you're the mama, you go with your gut! It's overwhelming and scary at the same time. I'll share my research & my opinion...feel free to share yours...it's all part of this mama's drama...and probably yours too! So, check back in soon...

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Adorable message center! I LOVE the monogram magnets and ribbon! It's just so southern! :) Looking forward to your upcoming posts!!!! Don't let us wait too long... :)