Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My brain is FULL and so is the front of my FRIDGE!

If you have to remember an appointment or something at school or work, what do you do with that information? You try to remember it or you write it down somewhere...and hope not to lose it! We put it on our calendar or add it with a magnet to our fridge! Sometimes my head is so full with stuff I have to do or not forget that I can't sleep...so I tell it all to my husband so it's out of my head and into his head or I make a list. I have lists of lists I want to make. I like lists, but I don't always use them...sometimes it's just the fact of having the info. somewhere else than my poor little brain!

Today, we were at Michaels and my three year old got out a piece of paper where she had written her "list", which was just scribbles, but it was funny to me that she had made a list before we left the house. Then, we run into Target, and there is a lady with a clipboard...I guess taking inventory or something... LaLa asked her if she was checking her list. The lady told her that she was just checking the stuff on the shelf. LaLa continued to explain that she should make a list so she won't forget anything. The stranger just smiled and stated she was such a cute, outgoing little girl. (Which probably means...you're child is talking to a stranger and asking a lot of questions please help me because we passed the cute point already!) Poor thing, LaLa is probably going to end up as list crazy as her mama!

Okay, so today in my efforts to be more uncluttered and organized, I decided that I need to focus on a central message center for our family. Now, we actually have one that is on our fridge, but it also has pictures, magnets, toys that sing, calendars and reminders from here and there, and all sorts of other things! Needless to say, it was quite overwhelming. You know, my fridge is white…I had forgotten that behind all of the chaos! Hence, the need to find and create a central home message center! Of course, I had to research first! Then, I decided what I thought would be the most important things to include…

1. Clipboard for lists: ooohhh…I like lists! This would be for groceries, errands, etc.
2. Calendar: our calendar is vital in our family!
3. A dry erase board or chalkboard for the kids and for the adults…for notes/reminders.
4. A spot for my “family binder”-it has “everything” in it
5. A place for our families’ folders-each one of us has a folder…for school stuff, reminders, invites, mail, etc.
6. A bulletin board
7. My menu planning list
8. Chore list for LaLa-this is a work in process!

While I was at it, I thought I would make them extra cute while I was at it! It’s funny because some of the sites I found had the same ideas that I had! I just had regular folders that we have been using, but then I saw those cute ones with the letters and totally stole the idea!

Here are the sites that I really liked!
http://www.modern-homemaking.com/buildafamilymessagecenter.html
http://www.myhomeideas.com/how-to/weekend-projects/build-blackboard-message-center-10000001716991/
http://www.myhomeideas.com/room-galleries/build-your-own-message-center-10000001175017/
http://creativeorganizing.typepad.com/creative_organizing/2009/07/create-a-family-message-center.html (My favorite and most of my inspiration!)

If you have one already, I’d love to hear your ideas! Mine is in process for now…so the more ideas…the more I can steal or borrow your great ideas!:)

I’ll post the picture as soon as it’s finished!

Mama Drama Rule #40: A mama’s brain can only remember so much! So, take some stress off of your brain and make some LISTS!

Coupon Update: I've been getting emails from the "coupon lady" that is teaching the class this weekend. She says...it's a good week to buy soups, frozen meals (weight watchers, lean cuisines, etc.) and cereals. Go to the manufactorers' websites and the SUNDAY PAPER had coupons for a lot of these! If they are already on sale and you use a coupon, extra good deal! I'm learning how to stock and save! I'm so excited about the coupon class Saturday...still one opening!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I hope you take a picture with the "Coupon Lady"! I think she is similar to an urban legend! LOL! Everywhere I go, people always refer to her and I get her emails, but I've never met her. I think I ran into her once and even talked coupons, and later found out it was probably her! :)

I like the idea of organizing the fridge. I have to make lists of my lists and then I lose my lists, so I have to make more lists...vicious cycle!!!