Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Do you like your husband?


Well...
on most days, my answer would invariably change two to three times. Do I like him? Hmmm…you mean on a regular basis or this second? Do I love him? Always. Like and love are two very different things. I call him a groundhog baby for multiple reasons. First, he was born on groundhog’s day. Second, the groundhog either sees his shadow or doesn’t…one extreme or the other. Well, that’s my hubby. He is either wonderfully happy or not so pleasant to be around (I’m trying to be nice!)…He is either completely obsessed with working out (he has been training for triathlons for the last year…I know, crazy) or not working out at all (He just decided one day last August that he was going to be in triathlons. I laughed. He has always been fit, but as I had babies, he had enjoyed the pregnancy cravings right along with me. Well, for the last year, he has gotten up at 4 or 4:30 am and gone to work out. Then, sometimes, he even works out again at night, and I’m not talking working out like a normal person. He swims over .5 mile…bikes over 20 miles…and runs over 5 miles regularly. Plus, he has lost over 20 lbs. with his obsession. I get winded going to the mailbox. Seriously, I like to do the “fun” working out, but I am sporadic and…um, well, normal. He went from one extreme to the other.

So, my groundhog hubby has his very likeable moments to his “now, what was I thinking when I married him” moments probably like the rest of his. His tendencies just seem more extreme than most. Now, when you mix kids, jobs, and responsibilities in the mix…an explosion is inevitable here and there! Most days, you go through your to do lists, handle the mama drama, take care of the mess and stress of the kids, and you are both working side by side but not really being together. I think we get to the point quite often.

Well, we went out on our date, which mostly included errands. We did get to see a movie and eat dinner, and we didn’t have to rush. At first as we were running errands, we discussed the “have to’s” that we just haven’t gotten around to telling each other. Then, as the day went on, we actually started talking to one another about the nothing kinds of stuff. We were sitting at dinner, and I was thinking, “ya know, he’s funny. I have been laughing so hard. I am thoroughly enjoying his company, and heck, I even like him.” I think at first he was surprised when I told him what I was thinking…because his response was “you mean there are times when you don’t like me?” He was joking because he knows there are many, but for these few hours we got to be just Tammy and Robert…nobody’s employee, nobody’s mommy or daddy, no imminent to do’s or catastrophes…just us.

Favorite Quotes

Joyce Brothers-“My husband and I have never considered divorce…murder sometimes, but never divorce.”

Friedrick Nietzsche-“It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.”

Lyndon B. Johnson- “Only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. One is to let her think she is having her own way, the other, to let her have it.”
Mama Drama Rule #14: As crazy as it sounds, if it seems you are disliking your hubby more than liking him, some time away to remember who you are may be just what you need. Then, at least when those dislike moments happen, you can look back and remember there was a fleeting moment when you did like him!:)

No comments: