Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Desperate Times calls for Desperate Measures

Dear Teacher,

You may have noticed that my child today had an odd scent that followed her. Well, you see, it can be easily explained. Although you just saw my beautiful little girl as she walked in with her two pigtails placed just right with precious white ribbon and her uniform pressed just so and that huge grin when she walked in your door, there was a great deal more that occurred this morning.

We have been very diligent about laying out her uniform together the night before and establishing a positive morning routine...you know just the way we are supposed to. Well, things were going just fine this morning. I fixed her hair. I put on her navy knee high socks. I started to put on her little white peter pan shirt, and that's where it stopped. She started squirming and whining saying, "it's too itchy." I explained, "LaLa, this is the same shirt you wore last Wednesday. It is not itchy." Well, I thought surely she would eventually finish getting dressed. Nope, she stayed in her pigtails, Dora panties, navy knee highs, and white shoes. We ate breakfast, checked her backpack, got in the car (I'm serious). By this point, I'm really starting to sweat it. I am going into an all out battle in the parking lot or worse...take her in half naked (I wouldn't really do this, but it did pass through my mind).

I tried to prep her the entire 25 minute drive. "LaLa, you don't want to miss out on preschool." "LaLa, you don't want to go in without your clothes on"--which she responded, "Oh, I don't mind, mommy". We got to school, and this mama was still playing it cool. It was like a game of chicken waiting to see who was going to give in first. I unbuckled her sister's carseat, got my umbrella ready, and went to get LaLa out of the car...still half naked." She found a box of Bounce dryer sheets that I had just bought the day before and had somehow (by the Grace of God) fallen out of the bags in unloading the car. She said, "Mama, what's this?" I said, "Oh, LaLa, these are magic smelly sheets that make you run fast and take the itchiness out of your clothes. You just rub it all over."

So, you see, teacher, it was desperate measures and a last minute stroke of genius. She took out a dryer sheet and rubbed it all over her body. I dressed her there in the car outside of the school building. She, then, rubbed that dryer sheet all over her clothes. Then, with a great smile, she said, "Mama, I had better put this in a safe place so I know I have it if I get itchy again. That way I don't have to get naked at school." Then, she shoved it right down her shirt.

I know, teacher, that she smells mighty strong, but there was no other way really. I hope you won't mind. I know after I walked her in, received a great big hug and kiss, and a quick wave bye and climbed in my car, I could still smell that smell. Victory and Bounce "outdoor fresh" sheets had never smelled so sweet...or made me smile so big.

Thank you for your understanding,
A sincere and desperate mama!
Tammy

Mama Drama Rule #15: When you get in a desperate situation with your kiddos, be creative...sometimes that's the only thing that will work!

1 comment: