Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer Projects: My Girls' Room: Charlotte's Web & Growing Up Too Fast!

I'm writing this post for two reasons. First, I am posting to share all the work and ideas that we did in my girls' new room. Second, I am posting because one day when I print my blog out for my girls to remember our little things everyday, I want them to remember how  much they loved each other's company. Each of my little girls had their own room that I spent time working to make it special and individual. However, in November, LaLa began to insist that she had to sleep with her sister as you may remember here. Well, after a few weeks of sleeping on the floor, we moved our guest room bed in the nursery so LaLa would at least have a bed to sleep in at night. The nursery was quite small, and the girls were getting bigger every day. By March, we realized that this sleeping situation seemed to be sticking around our house. Now, both girls really enjoyed each other's company at night and during naps. They even began sleeping better!


We decided to change LaLa's unused room into the girls' new room they would share. It is the largest of the four bedrooms upstairs (excluding ours). It currently had a four poster queen size bed, a dresser, etc. Since two little girls were going to share, we had to look for furniture. We were right in the middle of the remodeling our kitchen...remember here, here, and herewhen we were in the chaos of our kitchen and everything else in the house started falling apart?! I began to peruse Craigslist in January, but I was looking for something very specific.


After looking and calling around for several months, I happened to come across cute bedding on Craigslist. It had poodles and a French theme. The perfect colors and idea for a "sister" shared room that varied in ages! Here was the bonus...the seller even listed McDonough as her location...very close to me! I contacted her and didn't hear anything for several days. It was actually someone that I knew. She has four kids of her own. She has been involved with all kinds of things (like owning and running a successful baby gym business!) and has completely amazed me with how she juggles it all so well! She mentioned that she had two twin beds for sale as well. Now, I had in mind something....like bunk beds (but were nervous about my girls' ages) or loft beds, or a carriage bed...but I knew I was really limited with my resources too!

I looked at the beds...and looked...and looked...and asked everyone else what they thought about them...I deep down already liked them...A LOT. However, a friend's husband could make the beds in my "head" for about the same price. I could get the beds, but then I would not have all the bedding that I fell in love with! Or, I could get the bedding and have to wait a few months to save up for new beds. I made an offer on everything...and didn't tell Robert. She totally worked with me...within very close of where I was trying to get...pricewise! Then, I had to tell Robert. After the initial shock, he was okay. I couldn't even go the day we planned to pick up the beds because our sitter canceled and one of the girls were sick! I was so excited!

The girls helped choose the colors and shared ideas. It has been a slow process getting it all done, finding mattresses, moving everything out, and moving stuff back in the room. Now, the closet has both of the girls' clothes. We have another twin bed that is at my parents' house waiting until Little Bit needs a big girl bed, along with the mattresses (who knew mattresses were so expensive?!), and her new matching bedding.

Before we could start in the new room, we had to paint over the "charlotte's web" mural that I painted in her room when she was little (sigh, wipe a tear). A friend and I painted grass around the room and the ceiling light blue. Both of my girls loved running up to the animals and saying their names and sounds. I had to leave the room when Robert painted (three coats!) primer over it! First, before we picked up the new beds or anything, I had to snap a picture. Oh, sweet LaLa, if you only knew the time and love I put into your "big girl" room! I'll miss seeing you and your little animals, but I am so excited about your new room that you and your little sister will make many, many fun memories!


I'll post more tomorrow.
I have to go hug my girls...
feels like I painted this just yesterday...
time is going by way too fast!!!

No comments: