Thursday, June 3, 2010

Preschool Memories

I haven’t shared any “inside” information on LaLa’s end of the year party last week. If I was this broken up on LaLa moving on to K4, what am I going to do when she graduates from kindergarten…or high school…or college?!


Here are some of the fun things we did for the end of the year…

These are cards that we made for each student so they would have their friends' personal information. All of the parents signed a release at the beginning of the year allowing me to create and share a student directory for the parents. I would not share personal information without being sure it was alright with everyone...so always check first! Hopefully, this will encourage the preschoolers to keep in touch over the summer. They made some wonderful little friends. I always made books for my students when I taught, and I always included my address as well. I loved receiving and returning letters throughout the summer with them.

These were just water bottles that we found at the dollar store. LaLa and I cut out the kids' first initial using my Sizzex (which is one of my all time favorite scrapbook toys). Just a tidbit of a secret...I use 'shelf liner' rather than the 'cricut' vinyl to make the letters. It works the same. Plus, you receive a lot more for a better price! I just look for good quality vinyl liner.
 
LaLa's Preschool teacher's end of the year gifts. Now, she is ready for the beach...plus, she likes (amazing there are still people out there that like it and have time to do it!) cooking! The students also worked together to make their teacher and teacher's assistant flower pots out of their handprints and a scrapbook filled with their "thoughts on their teacher". I forgot to take pictures!

Prior to the party, the students had the opportunity to enjoy a field day of sorts. LaLa's favorite part was the "jumpy house". She also played with chalk, bubbles, beanbags, and hula hoops.
I love their little shirts. Aren't they cute?

Party time...picnic style!

Each parent sent in an "outdoor" item to go in the kids' goody bags. Here are some of the things that were included: the shovel and pail, a backpack, a bucket hat, bubbles, chalk, a bug catcher, a bug net, plastic bugs, a magnifying glass, a float for the pool, etc.. Now, LaLa has seen this bucket sitting on her classroom's shelf for several days, she has been chomping at the bit to get her "end of the year bucket". You would have thought it was pure gold. Every single day, she would ask if today was the day she received her bucket! Then, we got it home, and I think I intervened a gabillion times when Little Bit and LaLa were not wanting to share the items. Obviously, they both liked all of the items!


I know I wasn't the student this year. I wasn't the teacher. I had a marginal part as just the mommy. However, on this last day, I wanted to pat myself on the back...and I still just might. This is the first year that I realized the parents' full perspective on the school year. Despite the marginal part, it is still a great deal of work as the mommy of the student. A lot of juggling your role as mommy and letting someone else have the control...ups and down of learning and behavior...your little one loving and disliking school from day to day...knowing how to handle a situation to not having a clue how to really handle it...learning when to say yes and when to say no to people...letting go (did I mention that yet?)...juggling picking up, dropping off, volunteering, schedules, and all while you have another little one very dependent on you...
see, a great deal of work!
If I ever go back to teaching, remind me to give the mommies and the daddies a certificate of hard work at the end of the school year and not just the students!:)

I felt like we completed the school year successfully. Our first one...my first one...ever...as a mommy. I survived it...successfully...and LaLa did too, of course!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Very cute pictures! Question...is that a cake with ants on it?? It looks adorable, but I can't tell what it is! ;) Love the ideas on the end of year bucket too! Are you still going to homeschool next year or are you sending her back?