Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Pirate Party...A special moment

This is my last post about LaLa's fourth birthday, a pirate party. I wanted to share two quick lessons that I will never forget as a mama.

The pirate party was a lot of fun. I would have to admit to my little girl that she had a great idea for a party. Something I never realized before I had kids, but you, as a parent, will spend most of your weekends shuttling from birthday party to party. It makes you really appreciate the guests that come to yours because it is a lot of work and time to make it to all these kid celebrations every weekend! Pirate was a theme that was fun and different from the norm. That statement describes not only the perfect pirate party but also my sweet, special, and unique little girl.

She is one of a kind! I can already see at the young age of three four that peers have influence over each other. My hope and prayer for her that she will stay true to her unique self and special spirit without being influenced by the "way" others assume she should be. Sometimes that uniqueness can drive me crazy as a mama, but I try to remind myself to value it rather than squelch it. LaLa put it best when I was trying to persuade her to a princess party, "Mama, my friends will love to be princesses, but I want to be the pirate and lead the crew. I'd like an eye patch and a peg leg." I pleaded to LaLa, "BUT don't you want to be a princess like everyone else?" LaLa replied, "No, mama. I'm a princess every day. Everyone is a princess at their party. I want to be something different, but if my friends want to be a princess, that's okay with me. I'm just going to be a pirate when I'm four. Maybe next year, we can do a princess party. We'll just have to see." EVEN the best mama couldn't argue with that statement... So, LaLa, you lead your crew and be whatever you want to be...for your birthday parties and in life!

Picture of Little Bit & her Daddy Gene. She wasn't feeling quite like her peppy self at the party. Ear infections, sore throat, and new teeth have a tough battle for Little Bit lately! She looked super cute as a little pirate though! She would not. absolutely. would not let me fix her hair! Oh, well, choose your battles!


Okay, now to my favorite, most precious birthday and mama moment ever!

We asked LaLa what her birthday wish was for her party. Did she want a character or a jumpy (thank goodness she said no)? She wanted her daddy to dress up like a pirate. Hee Hee. IF you know my husband, Robert is somewhat reserved. He can be crazy and rowdy, but he must be perfectly comfortable in the situation first. It was sort of the family joke that Robert was going to dress up for her party because no one (and I mean no one) thought he would ever dress up. Bless his heart. He found a pirate costume (from my brother....hmmm...odd, huh?) and spent the night before the party planning his costume. Just as people were starting to arrive, he came down the stairs all dressed up as a pirate.

Robert coming down the stairs in his pirate costume for the birthday party!


LaLa's facial expressions were priceless. It melted my heart. She looked up at her daddy and said (as she smiled and hugged her daddy), "Daddy, you tricked me. You did dress up like a pirate to make my birthday special."

Took this picture as she looked up and saw daddy as her pirate.


Later, that night as I put her bed, I asked her what her favorite part of her birthday was....after toys, toys, toys, cake, ice cream, food, friends, games and all...do you know what she said?



"Daddy dressing up for my party was my favorite part of being four. Daddy is my prince, mommy." I don't think I have ever loved my husband more than at that moment! It reminds me of this plaque I saw once at a craft festival,

"I found my prince, and his name is Daddy."

Better later than never...going to share Easter pictures on the next posts! Then, (hopefully!) I can share the reason(s) why our life has been so extra crazy lately!

No comments: