Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Saving Money: Movie Night In...Meatballs Anyone?


LaLa does not like any sauce, and our favorite meatball recipe is really saucy so I tried a new recipe.
The recipe was from Kraft. If you email me, I'll be glad to send it!
It was delicious. I included a variety of sauces for dipping.

I haven't posted one of our weekly movie nights lately so I thought there was no time like the present! Our most recent movie night was Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Let me just tell you...my husband and I loved it. Our children did their usual routine of watching for a few minutes then run around like crazy little people. It did keep their attention more than most movies. At one point, Robert and I were the only ones watching it, and we were completely laughing out loud. I don't know if it was just cute or if we were just tired by the end of the week! The poor character is an inventor that works and works to make a grand invention, yet he fails time after time. Finally, he prevails and creates (on accident) a food machine for his desperate little town. Food begins falling from the sky! He finds out what happens when you're greedy, what it means to be yourself and to truly accept others, to be a hero to yourself first, to be a friend, and to never give up. This mama does recommend it though for any age!


Poor Little Bit was suffering from a cold during our snow week.
She was so serious about placing those cotton balls on her cloud, and she learned to say cloud!
Who would have thought this focused 17 month old would be licking the glue off the cloud in a few minutes?

We enjoyed meatballs for dinner to go with the theme of the movie. The girls and I also created clouds with paper cut out in cloud shapes and cotton balls. My Little Bit even participated in the craft. She did great on her first cloud. She placed each cotton ball on each glue dot. However, when I gave her a second cloud to do, she immediately licked the glue. Oh well! At least the glue is non toxic! We hung the clouds from our chandelier in our breakfast room, cuddled up under blankets, and enjoyed the movie. For dessert we had Cinnamon Pretzels from Kim and Scott's Gourmet Pretzels....mmmm...good! They were next to nothing a few weeks ago with a coupon at Publix! They were perfect for movie night!


LaLa, of course, loves any craft involving glue. I always put glue on a paper
plate and let her manipulate the glue with a Qtip...less mess!
This kept her occupied while I made dinner! LaLa and Little Bit did get in
a cotton ball snow fight when they finished their craft, but it was fun.
I think all of the snow outside inspired them!

It amazes me week after week how excited my family gets over movie night. I really do not do anything "extra" aside from putting a little extra thought into a "theme" to go with the movie. I realized a long time ago that I go out of my way to serve company and make everything special when we have dinner guests, yet I rarely did anything off routine for my own family. They deserve it to! It definitely makes a fun evening, lots of memories, and uses very little money!

No comments: