Monday, December 7, 2009

We are going to have a visitor! He's about 6 inches tall...

Okay, so I have decided to succumb to the Elf fun that I have heard others discuss. Honestly, at first, I thought it was kind of a silly concept. I also thought it would add something else for me to do in my world! However, I decided that I wanted to do a 12 days of Christmas kind of thing with our advent/counting down to Christmas Calendar. In the last twelve days, we will do something with the "Christmas spirit" in mind. I hope that it will be a fun game that will also inspire a better idea of what Christmas is about and build some anticipation of Christmas! I have plans to incorporate the elf fun with our countdown!

From what I understand, I am starting it a little late! I think it will still be a lot of fun, and I figured that it will give the kids a week to get used to the concept before our 12 days start! I could not believe all of the stuff that I have found for this Elf fun!

Our Elf is coming tomorrow! He has his passport ready from the North Pole. He has his letter from Santa explaining that my girls are in charge of the care of this little mischievous elf. They will write a secret report to Santa on what they all did during his stay. They will creatively take care of him, and each day our little Elf will be discovered in a different part of our house and into some sort of trouble! The Elf is also coming with a little notebook (a small version of a trapper keeper-remember those!-in reality, it is a recycled velcro day planner!) to keep their recordings of the Elf's mishap!

I asked my husband his suggestion for a name for our little Elf. Well, now our little Elf is named, LEEROY. Yep, that is what he chose! I'll share pictures of some of our Elf fun this week!

Here are some great resources if you want to make your own Elf Fun!
Santa and his elves-fun site for kids
Elf on the Shelf-same concept...different angle (author graduated from my alma mater)
Cute plush elf doll (I just used a mini Santa shelf sitter that I actually bought after Christmas last year)
An abundance of great ideas: printable passport, letter, report, etc.
Message Board (Yes, I'm serious! of elf suggestions and ideas and so much more!)

Let me know if you try out Elf fun this year or if you have done it in the past! I'd love to hear ideas! Our Elf is about to go leave sticky notes all over the house of places he visited and checked out during his first night. He is leaving paper punched Christmas trees lying around the house making a trail to various places! I'm not sure how much my one year old and three year old will understand the idea...but we shall see!:)


Mama Drama Rule #84: Imagination always begins with a little magic!

No comments: