Friday, December 4, 2009

Ideas to Countdown to Christmas!

Hmm...21 days and counting. It's so funny to me that when I was little, I felt like waiting for Christmas lasted an eternity! Now, I am making list on top of list and still can't seem to find enough time. I'm trying to remember that child-like feeling and anticipation so my kids do not feel the adult stress and anxiety that can come with the holidays! When I feel like we are constantly looking for this and that for holiday parties, programs, and events...not to mention that last minute gift check list and menu, I try to take a deep breath and look at the holidays and the moment through my children's eyes. Then, the excitement can be absolutely contagious.

Our favorite thing to do right now is counting down the days to Christmas. LaLa brought home this cute paper chain counting down the days until Christmas from Preschool. Of course, Little Bit constantly grabs at it and takes off! We also have this little house that has a little drawer for each of the 25 days! I haven't figured out the PERFECT item to put inside the drawers, but for now, I'm using candy (yes, halloween candy that was left over) in each little section! I tell my girls that they appear in the mornings only after they go to bed! It makes them fall asleep just a little quicker! Plus, it reinforces counting and number recognition!

Here are seven fun ideas that we liked or have planned to do to enjoy each and every day during the holidays...and to count down the day until Jesus' birth!




2.  Countdown Chain: Make a simple paper link chain special by numbering the strips from 1 to 24. Write a special message or event on each link before you stick them together in order. I used to do this when I was a classroom teacher. I was so excited when LaLa brought one home! We are working on her writing her name smaller (she writes it BIG now). So, each day, she takes off a link and writes her name on the broken link. It provides her a limited space to practice those fine motor skills! It's part of the "game" of counting down so she never questions the activity as "work"!

3.  Twelve gifts of Christmas: wrap 12 gifts from the dollar store...or here's an idea (saved happy meal prizes). It really doesn't matter what it is...it's the mystery and the opportunity to unwrap them! Wrap each one and place a number on it. Each day, the child looks for the appropriate number and gets a treat! It extends the gift fun that is usually limited for morning of Christmas!

4.  Make your own calendar and place a note behind each number counting down the days until Christmas. Some of the notes could have jokes, riddles, an errand, or a 'treasure' hunt to find something in the house! This would be great for new readers!




Mama Drama #83: We should all countdown to the day that we celebrate Jesus' birth! Our kids and family will know just how wonderful of an event it is if we are excited and looking forward to it!

No comments: