Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Wiggly Good Time!









We went to the Wiggles concert on Sunday. It was a full day trip because it was over an hour away. I have to be honest and say that the wiggles is definitely one of my favorite concerts. I am actually being serious. They keep my entire family completely entertained! They go out of their way to make sure the children and the families enjoy their time, and they definitely make sure that you get your money worth. This was our third wiggles concert, and I have learned quite a bit along the way! You might think I'm a little quirky for even blogging this, but I have more times than not looked up this very same topic online when I have been planning my family's trips to various concerts!

First, the wiggles is the only concert that I know for kids where the characters come out into the crowd. They also will read your child's sign if you make one and hold it up at the appropriate time. (I actually read this online the first time we went and was so excited to see that it was true!) I learned that my kids were even more excited if I included their names in the sign we all created, then the wiggles would say their names. Wow, this is unbelievable to small children. LaLa continued to say over and over...I can't believe Murray knows my name! They make you bring half size poster board sheets now. We happen to have ours rolled up in the bag, and I didn't hear this rule until later...fortunately for our sign!

Second, bring whatever "character" stuff to eliminate the need to make extra, expensive purchases at the event. Wow, those "souvenirs" are so pricey! I thought about buying a "wags" lovey for my Little Bit, but it was fifteen dollars! The first concert we took LaLa to we were so unprepared! We went empty handed, and we spent a fortune. We have learned...after that experience...to go prepared! We took all of the little stuffed characters with us, the hat, the sword, the light up red car, etc. Just so you know too...they always sell something that is going to light up and just attract your children like moths to a flame! Well, fortunately, we did buy this item three years ago at our first wiggles concert. We just bring it every time we go back. We also keep those bracelets and necklaces that glow on hand. They are at the dollar store for a pack of six or so, and they are marvelous for events like this!

Third, save even more money! Bring snacks and drinks! I always try to pack something fun and different. This time I packed these neat dinosaur fruit snacks where you try to put them together to make a dinosaur! Oh! Something else to bring that is specifically for the Wiggles concert is a bone for wags and roses for dorothy! A lot of times if you get there early, you can also get some cute pictures in front of the stage. We were able to get some really cute pictures before an elmo show of LaLa at "sesame street". Another random and money-saver is to try craig's list or ebay to get tickets. The closer it is to event...the more desperate people are to sell tickets...cheaper! My friend managed to get some great Elmo tickets this way! Wiggles is our tradition. We went ahead and ordered from ticketmaster to ensure that we did get tickets this year. If you sign up for ticketmaster, they will tell you when tickets go on sale. Sometimes, as for the wiggles concert, they will also do a presale to provide you with an opportunity to get even better seats!

Fourth, make it memorable. Work together with your kids to make a special outfit. They can even paint on a shirt or try iron ons! Take pictures. Make a scrapbook together after the event. It makes the memory last, and you will not believe how much your kids will invest into making a scrapbook, talking, and sharing it with anyone who will listen! Create a countdown with sticky notes counting down the days before the special event. This can build the anticipation for anything! Enjoy your kids' expressions throughout the event. The first time Robert and I took LaLa to the Wiggles concert, she was about a year and a half. She literally opened her mouth, eyes staring straight ahead, and clenched both fists shaking her entire body because she was so excited. I just stared at her, and I almost cried myself because of her enjoyment. That is what it's all about!

It's easy to say you don't want to do things (concerts, museums, trips, etc.) because your child is too young to remember them one day or to put things off until they are older. However, most of our personalities are developed by age three...before most of our recalled memory ability is developed. Don't wait until they are older. It is so meaningful to their development at every part of their life! It doesn't have to be expensive or anything huge. It has to be something that builds experiences. Our children personalities, their inquisitive nature, their passions are developed through these experiences that we offer them.

Mama Drama Rule #70: Even if they never remember that we took them to this place or on this trip, we can know that it is all part of what makes them into what they will be one day!

No comments: