Saturday, October 17, 2009

Stone Mountain Adventures...and GPS disadvantages!

Well, today, we went to Stone Mountain. It is another one of our fall traditions that we started doing the year I was pregnant with LaLa. My college roommate, Pepper, and I have taken our kids every year since before they could walk! It's one of those things that I hope to do when they are all teenagers, but they know they can't resist too much because they JUST know it's something we do every year.

This year was a little different. My husband was out of town...convenient and sneaky, huh? Not so sure that one was a coincidence! Well, once he wasn't going everyone else's husbands slowly backed out. So, there we were with our plans made months ago all of us with no husbands and excited little ones! It gets better! We start hearing throughout the week that Saturday is going to be one of the coldest days so far this year. That's okay, we can handle the cold! It'll just add to the Fall atmosphere, Right??? Yesterday, I went on the hunt to find hats and gloves. Of course, I then had to embroider their monograms on their hats! It's an addiction!

I'm not one to go out on such ventures with both of my girls all by myself. Things just happen to me it seems where as it is never a simple task! I had cute outfits for my girls. I packed enough for a week trip...just in case! I had all of our winter gear. I had directions. I'm ready!

I check out the news this morning. It says no chance of rain except in far north georgia and a cold, cloudy day...so we're good, right? WRONG! I start driving up there, and guess what? It starts raining. Yep, raining. Now, cold I can handle. Rain...I'm getting worried. I didn't plan for this! I made it to the park...with only a couple phone calls to make sure that I was going in the right direction. I pull into the park and have no idea where to go to park. So, I decide to follow where all the other cars were going because surely, I think, they are going to park.

Yep, they were going to park, but I end up in some area where there are people...young and old...in kilts...like scottish things. Parking is crazy. There are army people directing traffic. I realize that I am not going to the mountain part. So, I try to turn in an empty parking lot...well, this was blocked off because a helicopter was landing. Literally, it was hovering as I'm aimlessly trying to get out of this parking lot! A person in army clothes runs to me and helps me (probably thinking I'm half crazy) get out of the parking lot. Then, I tell the next army person directing cars that I am trying to get the mountain part, and I think I'm lost. They end up moving a metal fence and cones so I can get out of there. I still couldn't find the parking lot for the mountain stuff! It took me 20 more minutes, and I had to ask two other people. I even ended up going down a lane meant only for the "duck mobiles" that stone mountain uses...that's what authorized vehicles meant I guess! I thought I was authorized because I had paid for parking!

See, this is why I don't venture out to unknown places alone with my poor girls! At one point in response to me yelling "oh no, we're not suppose to be here!", LaLa said, "Mommy, just take a deep breath and look for a mountain." That's pretty good advice from a three year old! Who knew it was going to take me longer to find the parking lot than it did to drive to the actual park!? GPS helped me get there...just not to the parking lot! They probably think most people just need help to the destination...well, obviously, they don't know about my daily mama drama!

I'll share more about our cold, rainy stone mountain fun later! It ended up being a great day...with adventures in and of itself! LaLa even tried to explain to someone that she was not a boy because she had a woohoo (use your imagination). My friends decided the rain and cold was too much, but we were brave souls that stuck it out! We have passes so I don't blame them for saving their expensive tickets for a better day! I guess we weren't just brave...there was NO way I could talk my three year old into leaving after she had been so excited! Never a dull moment in our world! Definitely lots of fun memories...and we all survived the day...even having both girls by myself. By the way, God bless all the mamas that do this stuff alone because they have to! I'm exhausted!:)

Mama Drama Rule #57: Wisdom from LaLa...In times of stress, just take a deep breath!

No comments: