Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Teaching a Child Patience...and Mama's Learning as we go too.


Mama Lessons…Patience

How difficult is it to be patient? We do not like to wait. We have become accustomed to quick gratification and wonder how we ever use to wait on things…like making a phone call when we got home or to a pay phone, waiting on dial up internet, using snail mail rather than email.
As teenagers, we exemplify impatience. Your teenager may be at this stage now. Can’t wait to be eighteen, to graduate, to go to college, to drive, to move out, etc. We as adults, often struggle with patience too. How often do want what we want and we cannot fathom the concept that we may have to wait and be patient. I’m patient, for the most part, with people…especially children. However, I have a great need for patience when it comes to wanting what I want when I want it.

A man’s wisdom gives patience. Proverbs 19:11.

We have really been working on patience & kindness in our house. Who would think that a toddler and a preschooler could make these two virtues so interesting?! Sometimes, we miss opportunities to be patient because we’re in such a hurry to do it our way….right away!
The other day, LaLa came home with green paint all over the back of her white uniform shirt from preschool. I asked, “LaLa, how in the world did you get green paint on the back of your shirt?” It looked like little finger prints in various places. She said, “Mama, I was trying to get my paint shirt off and the buttons are in the back.” I asked her how she managed to get it off…LaLa continued to explain, “Well, my teacher finally helped me and she said my mama must have a lot of patience.”

You never know with LaLa if this all really happened or if she puts several events together in her preschool mind & combines it into a story. Regardless how the event happened, what came out of her mouth was absolutely hilarious…and oh, so true! Her mama DOES have a lot of patience!


Mama Drama Rule #30: Patience is a virtue that we all need more of…the best way for a woman to learn patience is to become a mama!

No comments: