Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Newest Project: Clearing out the Clutter!

I told LaLa that we were going to go through the room and get rid of the clutter! Now, she, not knowing what clutter even is, said, "okay, close your eyes, mama!" then she exclaimed, "POCA, POCA, clutter go away!" (Poca is her way of saying hocus pocus!) Oh, wow! If it only worked that easily, I would be wondering room to room yelling POCA POCA all day long!


How does a mama get rid of clutter? I look around my house and don’t even know where to start! Well, at least the clutter hides the mess. I consider clutter as anything not in a 'designated' place/home and anything that is not needed or used! For some reason over the last couple weeks, I have become obsessed with clearing out the clutter and getting organized, but as you start clearing out the clutter, you notice the mess. And with a mess...comes me depressed...so here I am wanting to be so organized and clutter free...in a mess, depressed, and obsessed! What a combination! Have you ever been there before?



As you know, I have to research everything when I start something, and of course, I probably could have thoroughly accomplished my task in the same time that I spent researching! I think all mamas have the same problem. We start a task…when we finally decide where we should actually start…then we get interrupted by the chaos that is our life…and our little distractions that we call children! Then, it really happened! I realized that my children are becoming as confined by the clutter in our house as I am! My little attempts at staying organized cannot be accomplished without getting rid of the clutter too!

So, on this little journey, I have discovered something really neat that I want to share! My hubby looked at me really funny when I first explained this concept a couple weeks ago, but slowly he has noticed that it is actually making a difference in our little world and in our little family. As I saw him “shining the sink” this morning, I realized that he has jumped on the bandwagon too. I am still a novice at the entire concept, and I continually find new things when I visit this particular site…when there is actually time. However, as I read throughout the various concepts, I felt like the author was actually talking directly to me! My perfectionism often restricts my abilities to keep a home like I really want. You know where you go to bed thinking, “Well, I didn’t get this and this done, but I’ll just try to do better tomorrow. I felt (and still feel…but at least going in the right direction now!) that I was so overwhelmed with so many things that I WANTED to do and with the mama that I WANTED to be that I couldn’t even get to that point! Through quite a deal of research, I came across the site, http://www.flylady.net/.

I encourage you to check it out. I wish someone would have told me about these concepts years ago when I ‘retired’ from teaching and had to give up our wonderful cleaning lady! It holds you accountable, provides a guide, and it’s perfect for the perfectionist in all of us. I feel like it’s giving me focus on getting done what I want to get done! At times and especially when this mama’s drama takes over, it makes me feel overwhelmed all over again, and I have to remember that I can’t make any progress that way…and I’m not following the “flylady’s advice” on taking “babysteps”…then, I refocus and start over! Let me know what you think! I’m about to make the notebook portion that she talks about. I’ll keep you posted on my progress, but let me just tell you…just this week, I cleaned the top off my refrigerator (seriously!), received a compliment from a visiting friend about my sink (She wanted to know if I got a new sink when I got my cabinets painted a few weeks ago! It’s not…it’s just clean! It was like God jumped down and patted me on the back!), and cleaned my entire laundry room, painted it a happy color, and it’s now one of my favorite rooms(maybe it will inspire me to do better with keeping up with laundry...I obviously haven't gotten to that portion of her lessons yet)!



*Flylady & all of her concepts mentioned above are Copyright 2001 - 2009 FlyLady and Company, Inc. www.flylady.net

Mama Drama Rule #37: In anything in life…Getting started is half of the battle!



Coupon Update: I was told that there is double inserts in the paper today...great for collecting coupons. There is also one opening left in the coupon class we are going to in McDonough, Ga next week, if you are interested! I can't wait to share with you all the wonderful things that we learn! I get giddy when I get to go to "school"...of any kind! I know I'm a nerd!:)

No comments: