Sunday, August 23, 2009

You can learn a lot about life from a triathlon!


I'm relieved to say...Robert amazingly accomplished his triathlon. He did it all in two short hours. He came out of that water jumping up and down and cheering and then ran on to the next phase. I think he was just as relieved that part was completed! As the swimmers got out of the water and ran to their transition spots, there were volunteers waiting to spray them with vinegar to take out the sting of all their jelly fish bites from the ocean. That was just one indication to me where I thought these people were committed and a tad bit crazy! That, and their bikes probably cost more than my car! It was interesting to watch to say the least.

I observed ten items from the triathlon that I believe us mamas can completely learn and associate with...

1. We often get "stung" by jellyfish and other creatures along the way that try to get us off our course. You have to just push them off, yell out at the sting, and keep going....at least until your feet touch again!

2. We can be the most anxious before we even start a daunting task! Starting is usually the hardest part...so, just remember to jump in, get your feet wet, and give it a good, dedicated try! You might be surprised at the results!

3. Utilize the people in our lives that are supporting us, cheering us on, giving us water to get through, or even spraying us with vinegar. We hear enough critiques in this world about what we are not doing and should be doing! Focus on the supporters!

4. Be a supporter! There are people out there with your same goals. They are running the race beside you. If we are one of the ones supporting and encouraging, you'll be amazed at how it will come back to you when you really need it!

5. Transition time is vital! We mamas know this first hand! Everything has to have a place and get put back in its place to eliminate serious time wasters! It's easier said than done, but it's every mamas goal!

6. Enjoy the moment because it will be over as fast as it started! As Hubby was riding his bike, he told us it was just incredible--the views, the excitement, the other racers. It would have been easy to dismiss these thoughts because he was so focused on finishing, but I think reflecting and enjoying these moments made it even more memorable! How often I do that as a mama?! I'm so focused on getting to practices and games that I miss the moments of my LaLa playing soccer and being a team! I'm so focused on Little Bit climbing into everything that I miss enjoying her inquisitive nature and the sneaky smile she sends me before she does it!

7. Some of these athletes' equipment was unbelievable, as well as their bodies! As you look around, you may notice people that look a little more equipped or better at the job. Don't let it intimidate you! You just do the best you can and keep training until you get better and better!

8. Keep hydrated! I would see all the athletes drinking bottles and bottles of water and eating these power bars. If I run myself too thin, I am not staying hydrated. Or, if I lose focus and my walk with God becomes on the back burner, I can feel myself getting dehydrated. Or, if Hubby and I are going to different directions, I can feel our relationship getting dehydrated. We have to focus some time on each other and re-communicate, and then we feel hydrated again.

9. Focus on the finish line. You can't get anywhere without a mission or a goal. I love the mamas that make a mission statement for their family. It seems like it would keep you focused! I love the concept of finish lines too! It makes me think of us being in this world working toward the race to our "heavenly" finish line...crossing it and God cheering for us...high fives and all!

10. CELEBRATE! This is my favorite! When you, your children, your hubby, or someone you love has accomplishments, tries a new adventure, or has done a good job, it's time to celebrate! The triathlon hosted a catered lunch that was amazing, live bands, free drinks, etc. They wanted the athletes and their families to be proud and relish in the experience. After, Robert and I went to lay by the pool. Celebrate!

I think it is the first time in over three years (since my three year old was born!) that I have had the opportunity to relax by the pool! I read, enjoyed the music, and treasured the time with Robert...which fell asleep by the pool after all he did! After several hours, we took naps, got dressed and went out to the Baytown Wharf. We had an incredible dinner with some friends and had to snatch our girls some treasures to bring back. Everything we saw or did, we both commented, "oh, our girls would like that!"

As we are packing up today and cleaning the condo, we are anxious to make the long drive and see our girls. We have random lists coming in our heads of all the activities and to do's of the week...as reality starts to set in. We are trying to soak up being able to leisurely walk around, the peace and the quiet, and God's majestic ocean. We both feel rejuvenated, closer, proud of this accomplishment, and able to go back home and be even better parents!

Mama Drama Rule #23: You treasure your life and your children more...when you have a little bit of time to spend away from them!

No comments: