Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Fairy Princess Party ~ It's Mama's Party Too!

We love birthday parties in our family! Well, maybe I love birthday parties the most…or at least as much as my children! I feel like my girls’ birthday parties are a celebration that they are in my life, that they are a blessing for being born, and an opportunity to celebrate everyone that has helped me raise and impact the lives of my children.

We ended up doing an enchanted fairy princess garden theme. Sounds too much for a one year olds party…but it turned out absolutely wonderful!

My goal with birthday parties is to do as many “memory makers” as possible. I think that the little things are what matter most! We were definitely on a strict budget this year, but it still managed to be special, unique and memorable. Please feel free to “steal” any ideas! I often see ideas out there and tweak them just enough to fit our needs! The concept for any mama is to work smarter not harder!

I have found that birthday celebrations are even more relaxing and special if parents of the other children don’t have to be super vigilant of their kids. So, I try to make sure that I have enough activities to keep every age of kid busy and enthusiastic. This means putting out exersaucers or extra high chairs or pack and plays and such so even the parent can talk and eat in peace. After all, I want them to enjoy the party as much as the kiddos! I also make sure that everything is childproof to ensure that they can roam freely. Also, enlist someone to help you! My mama was a great deal of help..see, we need our mamas at any age!

I love having dinner for our guests so it gives everyone an excuse to relax and enjoy a meal on us! I usually make my girls cakes, but I caved this time and bought her birthday cake. (I made her cake for her actual birthday, which relieved a small bit of the guilt!) I got a great deal! The petit fors (2 dozen), the cupcakes (I had to make the fondant frilly flower petals ~found on http://www.wilton.com/), and the three-tiered cake for under 100 dollars! It took a lot of looking and asking everyone for advice! I even got laughed at from two bakeries when I presented my “ideas” and my budget!

Top TEN Things that I loved that I will definitely do again and recommend…

  1. Bought “take and toss” store brand sippy cups and made “paper wraps” with scrapbook paper with the kids’ names on them.
  2. Fondant-It’s grown up play dough! I need so much more practice, but it was a blast!
  3. Petit Fors-they were a hit! I just thought they were sweet and tiny like my Little Bit, but had many, many comments on them!
  4. Made my girls’ outfits. I saved a lot of money going this route!
  5. Had someone write down who gave what so I don’t have to remember and can send a personal thank you.
  6. Had someone else take pictures for me!
  7. Had a wonderful family member dress up as a fairy to “play” with the kids and “decorate” them with tattoos and face painting. So many teenagers that love kids would love to do this for just a little bit of “bribery”!
  8. Had an easy buffet of food that didn’t take much fussing over, was inexpensive to serve a lot of people. (Teriyaki Chicken breasts served with pineapple rings, baked potato bar, an iceberg salad, veggie and fruit tray
  9. Had easy toddler food for little ones-with all the gerber snacks, peas, carrots, diced potatoes
  10. Had lots of pictures of the year & tried to include pictures of the guests with the birthday girl throughout the year. I had pictures and music on the television scrolling through (just learned that I can use my husband’s WII for this! At least it has I use that I can enjoy now!). I had pictures from her first day and every month of her first life. It was so reminiscent for me to see how much my baby had grown! Pictures are an easy and cheap decoration that can be saved and used later for photo albums and scrapbooks!
  11. One more, I can’t help myself! I actually got all the plates, plastic ware and decorations from the DOLLAR STORE! If you shop around long enough at different stores, you will inevitably find something you’ll love…or at least can change it just enough to make it perfect…but cheap!

    Your children’s birthdays are just as much for you as they are from them! I would even go as far as to say we mamas deserve a present too. After all, it was us who provided them with transport into this world, and it’s us who loves them day by day. So, celebrate!

Mama Drama Rule #11: Kiss your little one and make memories that they’ll never forget! With a little bit of planning and a lot of hard work, you can be frugal and create an unforgettable day!

No comments: