Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Snapshot of Perfection is Only That!

Don't you just love going into blogs, tv shows, and articles where you see these snapshots of peoples' lives? It exhibits the perfect family, the perfect moments, and the perfect way it should be. I find myself often saying, "I want a kitchen like that." (kitchens are a touchy subject right now in our house!). "I want my house organized like that." "I want to be a mama like that." I'm learning that life isn't really like that. Those are actually snapshots of that perfect moment...and there are actually perfect moments...just no perfect families, no perfect ways...life is just not that way! Our kids wear us down at times. Our house is in chaos at times. We get tired of being tired at times. Our husbands make us roll our eyes at times. Our to do lists overwhelm us at times. All in all, things can seem completely imperfect and we long for those perfect snapshots that we see.



I was just visiting one of my favorite blogs, Melissa Hester. She is one of my heroes and my version of a Christian/Martha Stuart/Paula Dean/supermom...did you get all of the slashes??? She is a combination of all that and more. As I was reading one of her comments that a reader had left, it really hurt my heart for that reader. She said something to the effect of...I wish I had a family like that. It's "flawless & perfect"...I "long for a life like that"...

Well, we all LONG for a life that is flawless and perfect, but that's not found in this earthly world of ours. Our "perfect" will be heaven. I believe that the author of this particular blog would even be one of the first people to tell you...life looks perfect in a snapshot. She works to add pieces of perfection to her world and the world of her kids by adding "loveliness" as she calls it, but it still isn't always perfect and how you plan for it to go. She shares with us ways to make it memorable and special...not perfect and flawless. I try to work toward the same goals. I often "steal" a lot of ideas that she shares and our lives are enriched because of it!

I think planning for perfection is the wrong route to go. The imperfections and flawlessness is what makes it even more special! Plan for a memory. Work out of love. Live for the moment rather than living for what you want. All of those wonderful cliche's work so well! When our friends and families and even some of us are being so effected by the economy and the sadness of the world, it is our opportunity to share some of our Christian love in whatever ways we can. If that is baking cookies, bake cookies. If that is sending a note, send a note. If that is being a mom with a positive heart, be positive. If it is being a supportive and smiling wife, smile and support! When you look at the snapshots of another families' "perfect" life or even "over the fence" at the neighbor's "perfect" life, remember you don't see it all...and their life is not perfect either...it's filled with as much mama drama as we have in our lives!

Mama Drama Rule #28: Remember, don't compare yourself to your neighbor. Their yard may only look better because they fertilize it with... a lot of...poop* (*I altered the last word, but feel free to add your own!) Focus on your own "yard" and work for it to be as wonderful and special as you can...not as perfect as you can!

1 comment:

JessRN said...

This reminds me of the quotation I have on my FB profile: "The perfect is the enemy of the good." In my own life, for example, a perfect clean house does not always mean a relaxing house. Someone in my own extended family has an *almost* perfectly clean house at all times, and it simply is not relaxing to be there...mainly because I'm always worrying about not messing anything up!